Chapter 4: The Watcher

(Lotus's POV)

I dashed out of the castle, my cloak flowing behind me, swishing side to side dramatically. I didn't stop running until I got to my spot, tucked away in the wooded area where no one could bother me. I throw off my cloak and loosen my tie. Tears and blood are mixing on my face as I plop down onto the bench and pull my knees to my chest.

  There's still puddles left behind from last night's rain. My eyes get pulled toward glimmering on the ground and I peer over my knees to look into my reflection. I gasp at the amount of fresh blood still creeping out of my nose. The reflection slightly ripples and my face blurs. The rippling continues and gets more and more noticeable. Loud footsteps are hitting the dirt.

  I look up to Luna skipping toward me.

"Are you alright, Lo?"

"Yeah, bloody brilliant." I say sarcastically. "Pun intended."

  She shakes her head at me and holds her wand in front of my face.

"Episkey." A snap sound is heard and it feels like I fell all over again.

"Ah FUCK, a warning next time please."

She sighs and sits on the swing with me. For a while we sit silently, the bench slowly swinging. The sun is out and it's warm and peaceful. I listen to the birds chirp and thing about how Luna is doing. She does so much for me.

"Luna?"

"Yes?"

"What did you end up doing on your first day?"

"I had lots of pudding... oh and I made something, do you want to see it?"

  I nod and she pulls something out of an enchanted pouch. As she lifts it out it gets bigger and bigger until without magic it wouldn't be possible for it to fit in the pouch.

  It was a beautifully detailed fairy city with multiple levels with different houses each with little windows, curtains, lanterns, and a whole little set up inside including all of the dishes and furniture one would need. There was a little spiral staircase leading up the outside to the different levels of the city and there were tiny hand done wood carvings on railings and furniture. Small hand-sewn cushions and mattresses were on chairs, couches, and beds. Every house was unique from the others and followed a different color scheme. It was incredibly crafted but it didn't shock me at all that she was able to do it all in one day. She has an incredible artistic ability.

"Damn... this is the coolest thing I've ever seen in my life..."

"Do you want to help me find somewhere to put it?"

"Duh." We both grow huge smiles and get up and run through the woods. We end up finding a tree next to the creek to set it up on. It was right in a ray of sunshine that peered through the tree cover. We ended up chasing each other around and laughing all the way out of the forest to the path commonly walked by our peers. We follow the path back toward the castle smiling and laughing and linked in the arms. I look away from her for a second and my eyes catch the stare of another. I quickly turn my head back toward her but keep my eyes on the watcher. Professor Snape is sitting far ahead by the castle with a book in his lap, not turning away from us... or just me?

"He's staring at you again." Luna says like she's reading my mind.

"Oh, thank god it's not just me... what a strange man..."

"He was doing the same thing earlier, in the cafeteria."

"You saw that too?" Both of us keep our heads pointed toward each other and smiles on our face as to fake having a conversation about something normal as we talk about him. Usually I don't look at people in the face unless they are good friends of mine, so I haven't gotten a good look at Snape until now. He's not an unattractive man, actually quite attractive- stern looking with dark, deep set eyes. He looked alluring, like I was magnetized toward his constant look of gloom. Actually, he looked precisely like a goth lesbian- and maybe that's what I liked about him.

  As I was walking past him I started to get a headache and let Luna know I was going to go back to the room to rest. As she walked away and I walked into the castle, I felt the headache dissipate. Hmm... maybe nargles or something...