What If

"Where is she?!" Jean thought impatiently to himself. Just at the thought of her he started pacing across the room. "What if she's hurt? What if she got mugged? What if the police are giving her trouble? What if she's dead?!" He started panicking.

Finally, after what seemed like ages, there was a knock at the door. Jean sprinted to get it, and when he opened it, he saw the most beautiful thing in his life.

"Mikasa you look-" He blushed, "beautiful."

She was wearing a hand sewn, exquisitely embroidered, flowing pink sundress. She had on no makeup-but she didn't need any-her natural beauty was enough to overwhelm any man. Much to Jean's relief, she had started growing her hair back months ago, so no the silky raven locks gracefully swept at her back when ever she walked. Little did he know it was Annie, Mikasa's best friend and roomate, that had forced her to go on this date, in hopes of having her "branch out."

Mikasa shrugged off the compliment with a simple "thank you" Jean had known she hadn't really wanted to go out on a date with him, for he saw the way she looked at Eren. It was the same way he looked at her.

But tonight was his chance to change that! He had thought optimistically, he loved Mikasa with a burning passion-and he would make her his.

"So," he started, fumbling with his poorly hidden notecards, "Why don't we go to the restaurant first, then to the movies, and then finish with the Gardens of Sina."

"Whatever's good with you." She said calmly. She didn't care, she just wanted to get back to her room, where Eren was sure to be next door.

"Um, ok, so should we head out?" He stuttered after what seamed to have been a prolonged silence of awkwardness.

He cautiously led her out the door and into his car, a sports car in which he had saved up for years to buy. A car he had balanced four jobs at once for. A car that, next to Mikasa of course, he loved more than anything in the world.

It had a lovely deep maroon exterior. He always bragged about it to his friends, to the point where on Halloween last year a bunch of his so-called-friends, including Marco and Connie, egged it and nearly broke a window. They payed for it of course-but still-it had definitely been a test of friendship.

Inside the car smelled of roses and French wine, the cologne he always wore. The cologne every guy in the scouting legions made fun of him for.

He opened the passenger seat door and she stepped in. Then he went around the car and got in the drivers seat. He ran his hand along the leather interior and put the car in reverse.

Soon they were driving along the main road, to the local Olive Garden, as every normal couple would be. But something didn't feel right. She wasn't talking.

There was no conversation going on inside that car.

"So," Jean started, "How's um...life?"

"Fine" She replied.

"Hey Mikasa, now that all the titans are gone-do you ever think you could go back to living a normal life even after happened?"

"Well, I think things could-I mean will-never be normal. If things were normal than we would have had to forget about titans ever invading humanity; about all the people who died inside these walls; and about all of the soldiers like us, who risked everything so this lifestyle could even be made possible. And even as much as getting married and starting a family would be-" She sighed, "I'm just not that kind of girl."

"Oh really Mikasa? I think you the type of girl every man wants: Strong, beautiful, independent, and smart. You are perfect."

"Jean, I don't think I've ever seen you so compassionate toward another person. That's really thoughtful of you-but please don't do that-you see, I don't think I'm exactly ready for a relationship, with you, of course. So please don't try to hard to flatter me." She said blandly.

He turned scarlet. "Sorry," he muttered. Jean felt obliged not to talk for the rest of the ride there.

Continued...