Answers of our Own

After dinner Briskette took up the dishes, so she could clean them. She sighed as she stacked the used plates together. Allison had stayed to eat this time but the doe seemed a bit more quiet than usual. She looked troubled as if she were thinking of something deeply. She couldn't figure out for the life of her, what was wrong. This was the second time she found her blueberry acting strangely withdrawn. Before Briskette could even ask her about it, the doe disappeared from the café. It made the cat feel so helpless, to not be able to help her dear friend. How could she make things better if Allison wouldn't even talk to her.

She walked to the kitchen, dishes piled up in both hands. She pushed the door open with her shoulder and walked in to find Allison leaning over the stove, baring the same look she had during dinner. The chimeress put down the dishes and walked over to the distracted doe.

Allison was too busy staring at the blood soaked box, that contained the demon heart, to notice her friend's presents. Her mind was racing with questions about what Alastor really wanted to have her cook the organ for. Was it part of some kind of voodoo ritual? Was it a trap? She puzzled over the secrets the box held, wondering if she should just do as he asked or toss it. The deer left before anything could be clarified.

'Why did he leave so suddenly?' She thought. 'And what did he mean by, wanting to know more about me? What more is there to know?'

"Allison?" The doe jumped and immediately snapped the box out from view. She quickly turned to find Briskette looking at her in worry. It made her heart sink to see such an expression but she tried to keep her composure. "H-hello B-Briskette...I-I..." she was cut off rather harshly. "Allison, please. Just stop it." She said, Allison didn't expect her friend to be so blunt, it wasn't like her. The blue dame fell into a startled silence as the chimeress continued speaking.

"You've been acting so strange lately, it's scaring me and I want to know exactly what's wrong." Brisk said sternly. Allison was silent for a few moments. She didn't know how to answer. "I-I..." She started. Briskette walked over and took the doe's hands.

"Is someone threatening you?" The cat asked. "W-what? N-No of course not!" Allison replied. "Is it that Radio Demon, did he do something to you?" Brisk pushed on. She was determined to get some answers.

"N-no h-he didn't." Allison didn't want to get the cat involved. Even though there was nothing going on between them, she was still afraid of how the chimeress would react to her feelings toward Alastor. "H-he h-hasn't hurt m-me o-or anything. H-he really helped me t-today." She stammered.

"I w-would have p-put us s-so far behind if he hadn't..." Allison was cut off by Brisk grabbing her face to look at her. The feliness gave the doe a hard look and spoke with a serious tone. "Sweety, you don't owe him anything, you're not to blame for what you had to do and he mostly certainly shouldn't expect anything from you." She said. Allison looked down sadly and nodded.

"I just..." suddenly the kitchen doors opened and Vaggie popped in. "Hey you two, we need some help with resetting the table." She said. Without thinking Allison volunteered. "I'll do it!" She said a little too hastily. The doe blushed, embarrassed by the two ladies looking at her with wide eyed shock. "I-I mean I can h-help miss Vagatha." She said before walking out the kitchen door. Vaggie watched the doe speed walk past her in confusion. "Okay?" Briskette tries to follow after her friend but Vaggie stops her. "Hey Brisk could you give Husk a hand with the bar?" The moth asks. "There's a few drunk patrons he's trying to get rid of." Brisk's brows furrow in worry, not for Husk but for Allison. Why was she being so evasive, was something going on between her and Alastor? Was he threatening her? Blackmailing her? Vaggie gently pulled Brisk by the paw and lead her out of the kitchen, and back towards the bar.