Chapter 9

*Jake POV*

Having finished my last class for the day, I made my way to my locker. I sighed in relief knowing I had just one more day left before the break. As I put in my combination, I heard the light creak of someone leaning on the side of one of the lockers.

"How'd your exam go?" Nicole said.

"It went fine. I'm just glad it's almost over."

"That's good..." She said.

She didn't move, but kept looking around. A moment of silence passed between us as I packed various things into my bookbag.

"Something's going on with Selena. She wasn't acting like herself today." She finally said.

Having grabbed a book, I froze and turned to look at her.

"What do you mean?" I said.

"Jake, it looked like she hadn't slept in days. I've never seen her that exhausted. Ever. I'm really worried about her."

My eyes stayed locked with hers, trying to gauge the seriousness of the situation. I let my hand holding the book drop to my side.

"That bad?" I asked.

"Worse. Like, 'I don't think she's going to make the drive home' bad."

I felt my heart clinch. In that moment, I felt the urge to take her from class and drive her home myself.

"Maybe she shouldn't drive then," I said. 

Turning around, I started walking towards her class.

"Jake, where are you going?" Nicole said, taking off to join me.

"I'm going to tell her that I'm taking her home right now."

"She has an exam. She won't go without a fight."

"Then, I'll just tell her that I'll drive her home."

Suddenly, I felt her grab my arm, stopping me in my tracks.

"Look, I know you are worried, but maybe it's best if I take her home instead."

"What? But you're the one that told me I shouldn't worry about Josh."

"And I still stand by that statement. I'm just saying that she might be more willing to talk to me about what's going on."

At that, I let my shoulders slump. I couldn't help but feel helpless yet again.

"That's not to say that she wouldn't talk to you, it's just that I have a feeling she'd put on a brave face for you and say that she's fine. She wouldn't want to worry you."

I let out a small sigh.

"Yeah, you're right."