Dead Mans Party

The five of them had rapidly got back into Simon's van and driven back to the institute. It was dead silent on the journey back with the exception of a rambling Clary.

'I don't understand. how can Shadowhunters be better then what you people call mundanes?' Clary asked as they walked through the institutes corridors.

Brooklyn was sure they'd already gone over the difference so she had no idea why after a whole day and witnessing what she already had with her own eyes, how Clary still couldn't know.

Isabelle answered the dumb question and Alec and Brooklyn gave each other that look, as if to say 'she's really getting on our nerves'.

'Because we protect humans.' Even Izzy's tone came out a little frustrated.

'You're right.' Clary turned to face to speaker. 'Humans. Your protect humans. You left Simon all alone in the van. Great job guys, you rock.' Sarcasm dripped through her voice.

Alec had already surpassed the point of having patience with the red head. 'There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense.'

Himself and Brooklyn shared an amused smile before getting told off by Isabelle.

'Look, they won't do anything to Simon. They just wanted to draw you out. They want the cup and they think you have it.' Breaking his silence Jace broke up, a stressed hand meeting its way to his thick blonde locks.

This mortal cup was proving more hassle than it's worth.

'But why do they think that? Why does anyone think that! What, my mum lies to me my entire life except, "oh by the way, there's this magic cup I hid on planet bingo but don't tell anyone!"what am I supposed to do now?' Her hands were flying about in the hair with desperation.

'Maybe you could write a book Clary, with all these dramas I'm sure it'd sell.' Jace and Izzy shot Brooklyn an unimpressed glare as she spoke.

'We have to report this to the clave. They have to know what we've learned about Valentine.' Of course the all reasonable Alec suggested.

'What, that he's my father.'

'Is Clary's voice come out unbearable and high pitched to anyone else right now, or is it just me?'

Jace gave his sister the final warning. 'Brooklyn, be nice and offer some help to this situation or just leave us alone.'

'Fine Alec, tell them. What good does that do to Simon?' Clary ignored the bitter girls remark before.

'Clary it's all connected, the Vamps want the cup.' Jace, aka Clary's new best friend spoke to her.

'Why? It makes new Shadowhunters.' The newbie didn't fully comprehend the power of the mortal cup yet.

'Nobody wants Valentine forming an loyal army to himself.' Explaining away Alec spoke as if it was the most obvious thing in the world, because it was.

'Plus, it controls demons.' Izzy had a much softer tone.

'They'll propose a trade, Simon for the cup.' Jace's eyes looked intently on Clary, checking up every so often on her well-being.

'So vampires will trade Simon for the cup? And Valentine will trade my mother for the cup? So either way I lose someone I love, what if I just toss it up in the air and let them fight amongst themselves?'

'So, this doesn't matter to you?' Alec was deeply unimpressed with her last statement.

'Yes of course it matters! When you saved my life... I put my trust in you. Now I need you to put your trust in me. I can't turn into what you are over night.' Clary was speaking to the group as a collective but her eyes stayed put on Jace, as if it was secretly meant for him only.