This World Inverted

'Where are you going?' Sternly Alec demanded an answer.

'Nowhere.' Brooklyn kept it short causing a sigh to fall from the boys mouth. He felt helpless.

'Brooklyn, you're going to have to talk to me at some point.'

She scoffed at the thought, Alec was supposed to be the smart one but recently he had been making all of the wrong decisions.

'I'm sorry.' Lydia came sashaying up, her apology didn't seem filled with remorse.

'For what?' Questioned her new fiancé.

Without answering his question the acting head just addressed his sister who stood a few centimetres away.

'Isabelle Lightwood, by order of the Clave, you are under arrest for high treason.'

'What? On what grounds?' Already Brooklyn's anger had built up.

'Only a handful of people knew about the Meliorn op.' Answered Lydia.

'And everyone knows she's sleeping with him.' A guard of the Clave smugly spoke making Isabelle chuckle smugly.

'You know what Lydia? You're no better than Valentine. But at least he had the guts to tell downworlders to their faces he wanted them all dead. You... hide behind the law.'

'I don't hide behind it, Isabelle. I simply follow it. Because it guards against one very important thing. ShadowHunters fighting other ShadowHunters.' She was as stuck up as ever.

'If she's convicted, she'll be stripped of her runes and banished.' Alec finally spoke in defence of his younger sister. 'I can't let that -'

'Don't!' Demanded Isabelle before handing over her stele to the guard on her shoulder.

'It's not your fight.' Brooklyn answered for her Parabatai as she was escorted out of the room.

Tirelessly Brooklyn worked out all morning hoping to forget about all the troubles that were happening around her.

'Jace stole the mortal cup.' Alec's uninvited voice arose from behind her stance. Clearly Brooklyn's features gave away too much. 'Wait, did you know about this? Did you help him!'

'Now is not the time to act righteous Alexander.' It was rare that the Lightwood's full name was used.

'The cup is the only thing that can help Izzy out of this.'

'Jace is doing what he thinks is right.' She defended her twin.

'What's right? He put the whole shadow world in danger. He put Izzy in danger. We have to get him back here with the cup.' Stressed with the cards at hand, Alec began to pace the training room making Brooklyn feel uneasy.

'They've taken Meliorn back to the seelie realm. You can't track him there.' The girl confessed.

'Not by any of the normal ways.'

Alec began to walk away but Brooklyn knew exactly what he was referring to. She rushed after him grabbing a hold of his shoulder. The first touch that had happened in days, a comfort shot through their veins at the small gesture.

'No, absolutely not. You can't track Jace through your Parabatai bond, it'll weaken both of you. Or break the bond.'

It was a scary concept. Jace and Alec at loggerheads was something no one had seen before.

'Jace already weakened it. How does he think I can trust him after what he did?' His eyes didn't connect with his mouth, his pupils telling a different emotional story.

'Fine if that's how you think now. But you know you can trust me.' Brooklyn pleaded but she wasn't sure whether it would work or not. These days it seemed as if Alec was a different person altogether.

All afternoon Brooklyn attempted to get ahold of Jace but he wasn't answering at all. Hodge strolled into her room with a distressed look on his features.

'Alec's trying to track Jace now.' His warning was short and quick before they both set off to find the angered parabatai.

'Don't do this out of anger, Jace is still your parabatai!' Finally Brooklyn could agree with something Lydia said.

Hodge confirmed it. 'Shes right.'

'I'm not letting Jace sacrifice my sister for his girlfriends pointless crusade. We're doing this. And if you don't want to help, get out.' His voice reeked of bitterness.

'I'll help, but on one condition.' Hodge confessed.

'What?'

'You don't let it go too far. Now your bond with Jace can withstand a certain amount of strain. But you have to promise me that you won't let it break.'

Before Hodge could speak anymore Alec spat out. 'Jace is dead to me.'

Brooklyn's mouth fell open and she flinched at the hurtful words. Jace was her twin, his parabatai was basically her own too. 'Alec?'

'You don't know how dependent you are on the bond, or how dependent you are on each other.' Trying to speak some sense into him Lydia searched his eyes for answers.

Her close stance to Alec added salt in the would for Brook.

'I have to do this, for Izzy.'

Everyone knew Alec would do anything for his sister, even breaking the bond that meant the most in the ShadowHunter world.

'Prepare yourself, this will be very very painful.' Hodge gave a warning.

'Is it going to hurt Jace?' No one responded to Brooklyn's question, the answer was obvious. What hurt one would hurt the other.

'Do it.' Alec gave the final nod for the process to begin.

With his stele, hodge traced around the Parabatai rune making it glow. Deep breathes fell out of Alec's lips as he tried to suppress the pain.

'Concentrate. Reach out with your mind... and your heart.' Instructed Hodge, Brooklyn was just glad at this point that someone with experience was at hand. 'Use every strand, every fibre of you that is connected to him.'

'It's working.' Said Alec with his eyes clenched shut and his jaw flexed. His brain working a million miles an hour to focus on where Jace was. 'I can see him.'

'You know where he is?' Brooklyn asked desperate times get to her brothers aid.

A huge scream erupted from the ShadowHunters throat as he thrashed about in agony.

'What did you do?' Brooklyn was in disbelief at what was happening right before her eyes.

'I can't help her.'

Alec was talking about Izzy, without tracking Jace there's no cup to be traded for her fate. Their parabatai bond wasn't strong enough for a clear location.