-𝐎𝐋𝐃 𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐒 -

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐧

【。_。】 . 【。_。】

"Momota!" Shuichi tried not to shout, not wanting to draw any attention from nearby neighbors living in this tightly squeezed neighborhood, but it was hard to hide the panic in his voice. Kokichi noticed this. He tried to tell Shuichi to calm down, that Kaito was surely fine, but Shuichi didn't pay attention to him. Shuichi got easily panicked sometimes and it was hard to calm him down once he started.

"Momota!! Momo–ah–!!!"

Shuichi, who was knocking at the door continuously, suddenly fell forward. That's because someone opened the door and he nearly fell face first if someone with a strong arm didn't catch him. And someone did. Shucihi braced for impact, his breath hitched, but when he was caught, he looked up and saw Kaito.

"H-huh–"

Kaito looked mad. "The hell–" then he looked surprised when he realized who he just caught. "Wait, Saihara?"

Shuichi's eyes were wide as saucers, then they began to tear up and he stumbled back onto his feet and hugged Kaito. Momota was taken off guard. Then he looked down and patted Shuichi on the head. "Haha. What's wrong? It hasn't been that long," he laughed at the other's crocodile tears. Kaito didn't seem to have changed– Shuichi quickly realized. His friend was the same as he always was: his bright smile was there, his uplifting aura, his kind and supporting nature.

"I just..." Shuichi was worried he may never see Kaito again. Shuichi was terrified Kaito may be dead. Long story short, because Kokichi was the prime suspect of the killer who killed the men he slept with, and since Kokichi had slept with Kaito, Shuichi had figured there was a chance his high school friend may be dead.

Fortunately, that was not the case.

But did it make Kokichi less guilty? If he wasn't the killer, why wasn't Kaito dead? Had Shuichi been looking at this the wrong way the whole time—

"Anyway," Kaito slung an arm over Shuichi's shoulder, breaking the detective out of his mental rambling and self doubt. "Come on inside ! We can catch up and–" he stopped when he finally noticed Kokichi standing behind Shuichi a few feet away. Oma had been watching them for awhile, and was relieved he was finally noticed and not being ignored.

Though Kaito's face fell slightly when he saw Oma. And Kaito looked more serious.

"Hey, I already payed you." He scoffed, pushing Shuichi behind him like he didn't want the detective to be involved with this and or Kokichi. Much to Kaito's demise, Shuichi was already involved a lot more than he would've liked when it came to Kokichi Oma.

Kokichi rolled his eyes. "Yeah, and no tip. But that's not why I'm here. I'm with him-" he pointed at Shuichi who Kokichi smirked at. "So... you're name is 'Saihara' then..." he asked slowly. Thanks to Kaito, Kokichi knew Shuichi's last name. Not that Kokichi already didn't. He found his I.D in his car, but he couldn't admit he knew it. So Kokichi was playing– acting like he didn't know a single personal thing about Saihara.

Kaito gritted his teeth. "Oma. Just go," he encouraged,  holding a fist. Shuichi  sweated nervously. He knew Kaito thought more with his fists than brain at times, so he quickly began to try and calm him down.

"Momota-kun. It's okay. He's right. I brought him because he knew your address." Shuichi explained. It worked since Kaito relaxed a bit. "Still," Momota muttered. "He can leave now." Kaito said loud enough Kokichi could get the message he didn't want the gremlin around.

Shuichi furrowed his brows. He would have assumed Kaito not so hostile towards Oma. They left the club around 8 this morning. It was dark now, so he wondered if Kaito was tired- and began to ponder more on that theory when he saw the circles under Kaito's eyes.

"Momota-kun. Let's talk inside," he looked over at Kokichi and nodded. "All of us. Please," he asked politely as possible. And Kaito, who was usually unable to refuse things, sighed and gestered for them to both come inside. He quickly shut and locked the door behind them afterwards.

The first thing Shuichi noticed was all the lights were on. There was also an abundance amount of locks on the front door. The windows looked boarded from the inside and there was a rifle on the table.

"Holy crap.. there's a rifle on the table!"  Shuichi announced inside his head with shock. He looked back at Kaito. "Momota-kun! What is–"

"Look at that freakin' huge rifle! Jeez, Momota. Do you go hunting or something?" Kokichi asked curiosuly as he seemed to already know how way around the place, and or was just easily comfortable in other people's houses, and plopped down on an old leather couch, propping his feet on the coffee table in front of him.

Shuichi made a face at Kokichi's manners, but he ignored it for now. He looked at his old friend with worry. "Momota-kun, is something going on?"

Kaito avoided eye-contact for a moment. He rubbed the back of his neck and sighed. "Nothing gets past you. But that's why you're such a great detective, huh."

"Well, the easily accessible gun on your kitchen table didnt make it too hard.." Shuichi chuckled. But Kaito's comment made Shuichi's heart hurt. He never told Kaito what happened; how Shuichi lost his job at his uncle's agency, and worst of all, why. Shuichi tried not to think of his shameful mistakes– how he ended up blacklisted like this...

The look must of shame must've been obvious, because Kaito noticed, but instead of saying anything, he patted Shuichi a few firm pats on the back, and shot him a sheepish grin.

"Well.. it's kinda a long story," he admitted causally, and Kokichi caught attention of their conversation and was looking over at them. Oma seemed genuinely and oddly interested in what they were chatting about and listened carefully.

Kaito scratched his head as he sat on the couch beside Kokichi, making Kokichi bounce from the sudden weight that fell down beside him. Kaito looked up at Shuichi with a weaker smile now.

"Someone has been trying to break into my house to kill me."

【。_。】 . 【。_。】