Chapter 2

This week was going to be awful no matter what. It started on Monday, when we were supposed to get our monthly 'allowance' but were told it was delayed. Bullshit, they just didn't want to give us any of it.

We knew that the monthly stipend came at the same time every month. Delays like this had occurred before, so we always kept extras or knew where we could get freebies to cover until they finally gave in and gave us the measly amount they did. We were used to hunting for food and if necessary, going to some of the human establishments that we know would give us their day old and leftovers. We did that often anyway to ensure we had enough food to survive.

The problem this week, was that Victoria was out of a couple of her ingredients in our special perfume. She knew exactly what they were, while all I knew is that they weren't something we could get out of dumpsters or secondhand stores. Chemicals like that weren't exactly things thrown away in the trash.

The problem with running out of the chemical ingredients was that once we were out, we stood the chance of not being able to 'repulse' our three tormentors. They tried to get to us time after time over the years, but since we had started covering ourselves with that disgusting scent, they had backed off some.

Wolves had such keen senses of smell that the over ripe and gross scent was just too much. We had to train ourselves to even deal with it. Thankfully, the fact that it was on us helped us get used to it. Since they wouldn't stay near us for very long when it was applied, they never got used to it like we did. It was a reprieve, even if it was a costly one.

We upped our game of all staying together, spreading the perfume as far as it would go. Usually that meant only a few of us would get 'sprayed', while the others stayed very very close. It had worked before but was still chancy.

By Wednesday night, they still hadn't paid up and our chemical warfare was down to the last drops. Victoria had tried to scrounge up anything she could, but it wasn't enough. The younger girls had to eat, and we didn't know when we'd get money, so we couldn't sacrifice the little funds we had.

Thursday morning, we had to make the call.

"I say we apply what we have left for Nina and Amara. We stick close to them and to each other and work on digging up some money... somehow." You can call me selfless; the reality is that I'm tougher than the little ones.

"What about after school?" Mandy wasn't as tough and was always really paranoid about getting caught. She had reason to be, so there wasn't any animosity.

"I think I might be able to snatch some ingredients from the science lab. I can go with Ari while you and Marie pick up Nina and Amara after school. You four can stay in hiding while we cook everything up. Then we'll come get you." Victoria was always one to take a chance, for a good enough cause.

"What happens if you get caught?" Marie, not a chance taker.

"Look, we don't have many choices here. I think we can do this." I knew the girls would be more inclined to agree, or hell, just to calm down, if I appeared calm and certain.

"Ari, what happens if you find your mate?" Nina was so hopeful that Victoria or I would find our mate and actually get them to listen. We had tried to shield her and Amara as much as possible from the worst of things around here. Give them hope.

"That isn't the focus today. We need to focus on things we know we can do, not things that may or may not happen." The only reason that was a topic was because today was my birthday. At eighteen, our wolves can recognize our mates, so long as they have reached that age as well.

We had tried so many times over the years to talk to our old friends, other pack members, the leaders, shit even doctors. No one listened to us. I didn't have much hope that a mate would instantly protect us, at least not if they were part of this pack. I had some hope I guess, but not much.