chapter 1

Futuristic Era, year 3798.

The maglev train car stopped on its high-speed tracks without a sound, the slight inertia made Ling Wei aware that he's reached his destination, opening the car door, he stepped outside.

In front of the magnificent building, motion detecting lights lit up quietly, illuminating the tall approaching figure.

Slender and graceful, the way he carried himself was in line with all the criterion for firm resoluteness and rationality.

And that, is what's currently being commended by the common people as a soldier's rightful attitude.

But the clean pressed and meticulous military academy uniform, as well as the handsome, youthful face that lies in a phase between manhood and boyhood, was enough to show that the person with such an outstanding soldierly demeanour was but a cadet still studying at the military academy.

"Mister Wei, it's me, Ling Wei." Ling Wei chose not to use the usual doorbell to the house, and instead used the small buzzer that's generally utilized by the servants inside the building to communicate." Please help me open the door."

When the military academy informed him of his ten-day leave, Ling Wei immediately set off for home.

After a long journey, it was already dark outside when he arrived home, his ill-healthed mother should already be asleep, and he didn't want to wake her up at this hour.

"Yes of course Young Master Ling Wei." Mister Wei answered through the speakers.

Soon the magnificent yet forbidding doors to the general's mansion was opened from the inside.

The not overly extravagant, but still elegant and pleasantly awe-inspiring front hall basked under the warm lights, slowly revealing itself to Ling Wei as the doors opened gradually.

Their butler Mister Wei stood in front of Ling Wei, neatly attired, "Young Master Ling Wei, on break from the military academy?"

"Mhm, ten days." Politely refusing Mister Wei's offer to assist with his luggage, Ling Wei walked into the mansion.

Having received militarized education since his childhood, his belongings were very simple, consisting of only a few necessary changes of clothes. All of this was partly in the blood he inherited from his father that died in action on the battlefield, and partly due to the years of careful grooming from his adoptive father, one of the top tier generals of The Federation.[1]

Intending to walk back to his room unnoticed, he was walking up the stairs when he saw the frame of a delicate figure that he most certainly did not want to disturb.

"Mom?" Ling Wei froze for a moment from the surprise, his brows slightly crinkled." Did I wake you? I'm sorry."

"I was already up. And thank goodness I was, otherwise I wouldn't even have known that you were back." Mrs. Ling walked over lovingly, and looked over at her eldest son who has been away at the military academy for a whole year. Then said to him with a reproachful tone, "Ling Wei, you always treat me like such an outsider, it makes me feel bad."

"No." Ling Wei looked both touched and a little uneasy, then he explained gently, "Mom, I just didn't want to wake you since it's so late. I was planning to go over and talk to you in the morning. You see, as soon as I've been notified of my ten days off from the academy, I packed up and left immediately to come back. By the way, how come you are still up so late?"

"It's because someone woke me up." Seeing the familiar look of guilt he had since childhood emerging from the face of her increasingly more handsome adoptive eldest son, Mrs. Ling immediately smiled and consoled him, "It's not you, it's that boy Ling Qian."