Chapter 3

Severalhours had passed, and Mark was still sitting on the bed with Vivianas she was fast asleep. He knew sooner or later Nicholas would befinding Michelle, and Vivian's world would be shattered. Mark wasnot sure how things were going to be handled; beyond a whirlwind ofpeople will be sprung on this household. He has seen it so many timesin his line of work. Mark continued to run his fingers againstVivian's cheeks, bushing against the same path over and over. Helooked outside and got lost in the moment for a bit until he heardthe crash that came from the kitchen. He bowed his head as he lookeddown at Vivian, still fast asleep, and knew that Nicholas had foundMichelle.

Markwalked down the stairs as he saw Nicholas running around the house,trying to hide the house's items that should never be around a child.He then picked up the phone and called the emergency number. Marknoticed that his voice was shaking as he spoke out of breath, "Mywife is not breathing."

Markstood outside in the shadow as he watched the parade of cars thatstarted to drive into the house. He knew he needed to leave but alsodid not want to let Vivian alone. He saw the light of herbedroom turned on. He stood back in the darkness and watched more andmore cars arriving. He finally noticed a female carrying out Vivianover her shoulder with a blanket wrapped around her. Vivian lookedover in the shadow over the adult carrying her shoulder and noticedMark. He could see her mouth, his name, and her hand outstretchedtowards him. Mark instantly wanted Vivian to be older so he couldtake her away from all of this. He tilted his large brim black hatand disappeared into the night.

"Ibegan to wonder if you got lost finding your way home," Randallsaid as he took a long drag of his pipe as he rocked on the chair onthe front porch. He always seemed easy, which was a nice change fromthe chaos that Mark was coming from.

"No,I was with Vivian," he said almost in a sad, depressing way. He satdown on the stoop of the porch, his long black trench coat openingand draping the step.

"Whythe long face?" Randall said after studying him for a while.Randall wasn't sure if he wanted to get into this subject, but thequestion was already asked.

"Ihad to take Vivian's mother tonight." He paused. "She was noton my list tonight when I picked it up, but when I was visiting, thecall came in. I knew the number it was telling me." He pausedagain. "Vivian is going to be a mess."

"Shewill be okay. You need to understand that a human child is veryresilient and will find her way to make it through." Randallstudied Mark again, and he knew something else was on his mind. "Justsay it."

"Iwant to know Vivian's number." He yelled out, and just likeBlaze's good timing skills, and he started to scream at the TV soloud that they both could hear him through the closed windows. Boththeir heads turned towards the window, looking at Blaze, not evenrealizing that he was extremely loud with his headphones on.

"Doyou want to know that information?" Randall knew this path verywell and would never send someone on this road. Mark looked down athis hand that was propped up against his knee. He rubbed his twofingers together.

"Yeah,I do," He said, almost breathless as his mind started to go down adark path. Randall could tell and didn't want him to go too fardown that rabbit hole.

"Giveme some time, and I will let you know," Randall said, and Markstood up.

"Iam going to bed. Good Morning." Mark said with a big sigh andwalked into the house. He didn't even bother to interrupt Blaze. Hejust walked up the steps to his bedroom.

Ithas been over a week, and Mark still has not seen Vivian since thatnight. He tried to ignore that nagging feeling in his stomach to govisit her but knew he would not be able to ignore it forever. Hismind started to race that maybe she might figure out what he wasbeyond an"old soul" like he told her. He looked down at histattoo and almost wished for it to send him to her. His mind returnedto the task at hand. He had five names on the list tonight and needsto get it completed. He looked up at the pink sky and took a deepsigh, and headed out for the night.