Chapter 5

Vivian slowly opened her eyes to the orange-red hue of color. She looked over and saw Mark standing next to her. He was more solid than before. She reached over to him and brushed her hand against his. His hand snapped just in that second, and the two held hands. Vivian's mouth dropped open as she could feel him like he was an average person in front of her. She looked up at him as he was staring straight ahead of them. His hair gently blew in the hot air that surrounded them. She looked around them slowly, taking in the land that reminded her of a desert with no grass and many rocks and dusty dirt. She looked up at the sky that looked like the sun was setting as they stood there in the middle of a neighborhood of a bunch of single homes, each one looking just like the next one.

"Vivi," Mark spoke, and his voice was more robust, louder, and more profound than what she remembered. Her mind began to try to process what was happening as he looked down at her. "Vivi, listen to me. You are never supposed to come here or walk around without me here, understand?" She swallowed hard as she nodded her head yes and looked up at his eyes. His eyes that ocean green brighter.

"Mark, I am so confused," Vivian said softly, and Mark stared into her blue eyes that sparkled with joy and happiness even though that was not how she was feeling right now.

"This is my world. I am just like you... to a point."

"But your voice is different. I can touch you. I can feel your skin, and you're not just a breeze against my skin." She shook her hand that Mark was holding and then looked at her other hand in just as much as curiously that maybe she had changed herself.

"Yes, this world makes both you and I on as even as we would ever be" Mark was surprised at how much she already noticed had changed. "Come on, let's get to my house," He said, and just like that, the two of them started to walk down the sidewalk. Vivian was still amazed as she continued to look at the world around her. She couldn't understand or stop comparing it to the world she knew about. The two of them stopped at a corner lot, and Mark started to walk up the path to the porch, and Vivian stopped as her eyes caught the figure sitting on the patio. "There is nothing to be afraid of. I am right here."

Vivian's breath started to become shallow as she swallowed as well as she could. She could feel the air almost escaping her lungs as she slowly took a few steps behind Mark, her eyes not leaving the figure. " Good night Randall"

"Good Night Mark. I see you have brought a visitor." His voice was rough, challenging, and had a bit of a scratching sound to it as Vivian bowed her, head unable to get herself to now even look at the figure that should be clear to see his features.

"Yes, Randall, this is Vivian," Mark said, so proud as he beamed about it. Mark shook her hand, and Vivian slowly walked around Mark to stand there. He placed his hands on her shoulders as she placed her hands on top of his and slowly looked up.

"Nice to meet you Vivian. I heard so much about you. I am one of Mark's oldest friends here Randall" Vivian looked at him. He was an older gentleman that had gray hair, very dark eyes that had a gold outline. He wore a t-shirt with jeans and had a pipe in his hand that he took a slow drag out of after speaking.

"Nice to meet you as well," Vivian said, her manors kicking in, and she squeezed Mark's hand a bit, unsure what to do.

"Would you like some ice cream?" Randall asked as he looked up at Mark. "I am sure it has been a long journey, and you are hungry."

"Yes, please," Vivian said a bit perk, and Randall smiled.

"Very good" He paused, "Mark, I believe there is some Chocolate in the freezer. Can you serve me a bowl as well? I will be in a bit" Mark nodded and tapped Vivian's shoulder with one hand, and she took a step to the side and allowed Mark to walk in front of her. She looked at Randall as he smiled that sweet grandparent smile that she had seen at the park over and over with other kids. Vivian followed Mark into the house.