17 - Study date

Kageyama finished off his questions whilst Tsuki had his coffee. Every so often Kageyama would hum or sing a melody that sounded familiar; the older realised it was the lyrics to Strawberries and Cigarettes and the setter confessed he really liked that song even if he only heard a little of it. They made general conversation to pass the time and the middle blocker noticed that the younger looked a little better.

"I do? I still feel like shit."

"Having time off is doing you some good."

"Maybe. And you? You seem... different, somehow."

"I do?"

"Yeah. You just seem more relaxed. And less salty. It's like 70% salty."

"And the other 30%?" asked Tsukishima, leaning on the table and pushing up his glasses, giving the younger his full attention.

"... Sweet." Kageyama admitted, looking away and taking a long drink of his lukewarm coffee.

Tsuki smirked before reaching out and gently taking hold of Kageyama's chin and turning his face to face him. Wide blue eyes met his golden ones.

"What?"

"You're not used to all this nice stuff, are you?"

"Neither are you." retorted Kageyama.

"Touché."

Tsuki let him go and finished off his drink as he took out his earphones, offering the adaptor to Kageyama who's eyes lit up. He put on a song- Bellyache by Billie Eilish- and went through Kageyama's work, marking right and wrong answers. This took about ten minutes, and when he looked up from the paper he saw the setter had folded his arms on the table and layed his head on top, asleep.

Sobo came over and patted his head softly.

"He looks so tired, poor thing."

"He's been struggling to sleep recently." explained Tsuki.

"He seems troubled but he has you, yes?"

Tsuki looked down at the sleeping teen and brushed some of the fallen black locks away from his face. Kageyama looked so content and peaceful it was somehow mesmerising.

"Yes."

Sobo watched him for a second before speaking softly:

"You like him."

"What! N-no!"

"Oh Kei, you can't fool me. You're in love."

"I... I'm just trying to help. Besides, we always tease and argue with each other."

"Mhm." Sobo hummed as she cleared up the mugs and plates; she gently shook Kageyama's shoulder to wake him up but frowned when the boy flinched.

"Hey, hey, sshh. You're okay." Tsuki spoke gently whilst running a hand through the setter's black locks to calm him down, noticing the rising pace in breath.

"Who's hurting him?" Sobo asked quietly.

"I... his parents are going through some stuff."

"Well it's Friday. Ask him to stay over."

"I was thinking about it. Would it be too forward?"

"Of course not. I think he would say yes. And I'll get you some snacks to take with you."

"Thankyou Sobo. He looks a lot better today."

"I think so too." Sobo agreed with a warm smile before heading off to get a bag of treats together.

"Hey, Kageyama. Hey."

He kept his voice quiet as he tried to wake up the setter but he seemed to be in deep sleep. He copied Kageyama's position and put his head on his arms too as he waited. It was only a few minutes until the younger woke up.

"I fell asleep?"

"Yeah."

"My bad."

"It's fine. It was only for a while."

Kageyama sat up and rubbed at his eyes before sliding out of the booth and stretching his arms above his head. Tsuki followed after packing everything away; the pair headed to the counter where Sobo was waiting.

"Earlier..." Kageyama began, looking back at the booth, "did I-"

"It's okay dear, as long as you're okay."

Kageyama nodded and blushed, looking down. Tsukishima said thankyou for the treats and the pair exited the café with waves behind them. They began walking up the street in quiet, not really having anywhere in mind.

"Want to head to my place? My brother's out and my mother's working late."

"Like stay over?"

"Sure."

Kageyama looked over at the older who was looking straight ahead of him. His blond hair looked soft and warm in the afternoon sunlight and he wore a soft expression that he rarely let show.

"Okay. But I have to get some things first."

"Then meet me at the turning in an hour?"

"Sure, see you later."

They split ways, Kageyama heading home to grab some clothes and toiletries and Tsuki to change out of his uniform. When Kageyama reached his home he slipped round and entered through the back trying to make as little noise as possible. He slid open the back door and made his way to the staircase. But, luck was not on his side as the first step creaked when he stood on it.

"Hey, what do you think you're doing?!"

Kageyama looked into the living room, gulping at the approaching figure...