10

A tense silence fills the car as we drive away from the house. It's dark outside already, but there's plenty of lights in the limousine. Sainte is sitting beside me, dressed neatly in a suit and tie. His hair is slicked back, and he's frowning as hard as he always is. Despite the serious look on his face, he looks good. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't attracted to him. He's big and strong, and masculine in every way possible. He's domineering, and it's hot.

I wonder what he's like in bed. I bet he's dominant in there too. I hope so. If I have to spend my life with him, I'd at least like to have some fun in the sack.

He might be a good boyfriend, too. He showed me a bit of a softer side last night, and I might be able to see more of it. At least if he continues to respect me, that is.

"Champagne?" Sainte holds a bottle onto the air.

"Yes please," I nod. I need something to take the edge off. I'm not super nervous or anything, but it is intimidating.

"Here you go," he hands me a glass and then pours his own.

"This is fancy," I comment, eyeing the vehicle. "Did you organise this?"

"No, it's included on the event."

"What's the gala for again?"

"Breast cancer awareness," he says. "It's a fundraiser, but you won't have to spend any money."

"Oh, I don't mind."

"No, I already donated online."

"Oh," I nod, not bothering to discuss it further.

"There will be quite a few people for you to meet," he continues. "None of them have anything to do with the family, so you know what to do."

"Of course." Don't mention anything we're involved in or even acknowledge the family's existence at all. Sainte is just a businessman, and I'm the daughter of one of his partners.

"Try not to drink too much," Sainte warns. "I have to remain professional, and I don't want my reputation tarnished."

I scowl at him. Does he not remember what we talked about last night? He sounds so judgemental and condescending. Besides, there's nothing I'd like more than to get absolutely wasted.

"Don't say it like that," I scold. "It sounds so... commanding."

"Oh," he meets my eyes. "My apologies."

"Have you thought more about our discussion from last night?" I ask. "About creating some new rules?"

"I have actually."

"Yeah? Care to share?"

"Well, for starters," he angels himself towards me. "I think we should spend more time together. I've been busier than I would like the past few days, so hopefully, we can make up for that."

"Okay," I nod. "Rule one: spend time together."

"And hopefully in doing so, we can keep an open mind and speak to each other honestly."

"I like that."

"I think it's clear that we are quite different people, so communication and patience would be key."

"I think we both need to stop assuming our own way is the best way, and try to see things from the other person's perspective."

"That is something I'll need to work on," he admits.

"And that's understandable. You're used to people doing whatever you say."

"And you're used to making your own decisions."

"Exactly," I nod. "So now that we know that, we can take it into consideration."

"I do hope you realise that all decisions I've made this far have been for your protection," he insists. "Your safety is my number one priority, but I understand now that I may not have taken the most appropriate approach."

"But I also didn't fully comprehend what I was dealing with," I admit. "I could've been more prepared to deal with people like David."

Shooting him definitely wasn't the best course of action. Sainte warned me that I didn't know what I was dealing with, and he was right. I didn't realise how grotesque these men can be.

"If I had been made aware of his behaviour earlier, I would have taken care of it. But we're raised with an emphasis on loyalty, and sometimes, these men are more loyal to each other than they are to the values of the family."

"I'll be sure to change that when I'm in charge," I shoot him a teasing smirk, and this time, a hint of amusement appears in his eyes. The corner of his mouth twitches upwards.

"You look beautiful, by the way."

"Yeah?" my grin widens. "This is the only dress I had that was suitable for the occasion."

"It looks lovely."

"Thank you," I take a sip from my champagne. "My parents would kill me if they saw me like this. It's way too slutty."

It's even a bit risqué for me, to be honest. It has a deep V neckline, barely covering my boobs and reaching over my shoulders with straps. The skirt is floor-length, but there's a long split along the side, reaching up almost all the way to my bikini line.

"I'm not concerned by that, Sofia," Sainte says. "If you're with me, you can do whatever you like, and dress however you like."

I like the idea of that. Being so important in this family that I don't have to stick to all the stupid rules and traditions they have.

"I don't mind you, you know that?" I blurt. "Jordan was right about you. You're harsh, but you can be sweet when you want to be."

"Sweet?" he raises his brows in surprise. "I don't think anyone has called me that before."

"Well, it's true. You have a kind heart."

"Only to you," he tells me. "Only to you."