Chapter 4

"Diladian's were quite advanced in many realms of technology and transportation at the time of the Great War. Their rail systems were top notch, and the aviation industry grew with the demands of the war. Traveling by rail was the cheapest option, and travel by plane was usually reserved for royals carrying out important military or diplomatic missions." - Excerpt from Travel in the Time of War, page 85

***

The journey to Nivaria is long. From the safe camp, we travel by car to a train station just outside of Dalonige. There weren't many travelers at the train station, most of them soldiers, but being out of the safe camp was jarring. Vencia and I were assigned our own sleeper car with bunk beds, which was cramped, but at least had a door.

"How much longer are we stuck here?" Vencia asks, curled on her side on the top bunk. The gentle rocking back and forth of the train had induced a terrible motion sickness for her.

"Two more days. Halfway there."

"Mmm," she moans.

I stand and peak my head over the edge of her bed. "You sure you're not sick, sick?" I place a hand to her forehead, which doesn't feel unnaturally warm.

"I just wish the movement would stop," Vencia sighs.

"I'll go see if I can find some tea or something for you, okay?"

"Thanks."

I slide the door to our quarters shut, and start down the narrow hallway towards the train car that holds food and refreshments. I peruse the tea options, trying to remember our mother's remedy for nausea. Options are sparse, so mixing in honey with the tea bag and warm water is the best I can do.

For a moment, I stare out the window of the train car, the shifting landscape something beautiful to behold. Where Uweya and Dalonige were home to rivers and rolling hills, we were now approaching the sandy deserts of the south. Beautiful plateaus of red rock populate an otherwise flat landscape, and the vegetation of shrubs and cacti is sparse, but breathtaking.

I find it unsettling, though, just how far you could see, and longed to be wrapped in the comfort of the closeness of the hills of Uweya. For the first time, I am struck by just how far from home we are.

Tea in hand, I start to make my way back to Vencia, but a familiar face causes me to stop in the hallway just a few doors down from our own.

"Needed some fresh air?" I ask Indigo as she paces. Something in me melts when a look of relief washes over her features at seeing me.

"Did you get your packet?"

"My what?"

"They just brought some packets by. Full of information about the program and what to expect when we arrive."

"Oh, well, I just went to grab Vencia some tea, so I must have missed them."

"She still feeling sick?"

"Comes and goes," I shrug. "Why are you pacing out here?"

"Because part of the paperwork is filling out what jobs we would like to apply for."

I stare at Indigo, the prospect of future employment something that didn't seem to be a cause for grief. "And?"

"All of the wages for the jobs are shit. Except for military positions."

"Oh." I lean against the wall, realization dawning. "Shit."

"I love my mom, but she's not suited for many occupations. Supporting our family will come down to me." Indigo meets my eyes. "Sorry, I know you understand, I just..."