Confrontation

I wake up to midmorning light casting through a decorative, circle skylight. Though the suns rays look warm, I'm frigid and stiff in mom's bed. There's a familiar chill that permeates the room and as I scrunch my eyes clear, I can feel the slightest crackling of rigid skin around them.

It's a smooth, thin, layer of fractured frost. I realize it as I reach up to touch my icy face. It's stiffened my locs, crunched the sheets of the bed. It's the same frost that froze Dustin and I in time yesterday.

Just the thought of yesterday makes my heart sink deep into the hardened pillow top mattress.

     How could I just forget about Dustin? A super powered maniac attacked us. Threatened his life. Threatened my life. What if he's hurt or, worse, dead because of me? What about Tory? What has he made of these rumors? He's been silent this entire time.

"No wonder my dreams were so dark and cold." I remark aloud to escape my thoughts as quality red satin sheets crack at my shifting body. "Mom?" I call as I see her space is empty. I imagine my blue flame must've kept her from getting rest.

     And what about Keon? my thoughts continue as I dredge my body up. Doesn't he deserve an apology? What if that SIA agent goes after him? What if I never get to make it up to him? Is he trying rile us up like they did my mom and her family?

"I'm here," she returns from behind the doors of her bathroom. She steps out in her plush gray robe and her pressed hair surely wrapped in a silk scarf, a satin bonnet, and a custom designer shower cap. "Is everything ok?"

"Yeah...I just...there's a lot on my mind," I tell her with trembling lips. "And I'm sorry about the ice. As a matter of fact I'm sorry about everything mom. I never wanted any of this to happen." Her bare brown skin shines in the sunlight. Then her brows furl as she playfully rolls her eyes.

"If you'd could read my mind, you'd find just how tame yesterday was compared to all the wild stories up here." She taps the black and pink frill of her bonnet where her temples would be and fills the room with a warm laugh. She sits beside me on the bed and we crack up as the frosted sheets snap. "Don't worry about the sheets. Your father did this all the time. And I'm sorry too Shi," she reveals with an affectionate hug that keeps me locked in place as her laughter fades. "I was a mess last night. And I should've kept it together better than that for you. Mostly, I guess I just feel that everything that's happening to you is my fault. Your father and I really thought we had escaped fate. We fooled ourselves into thinking you'd be so focused on your future you wouldn't ever wonder about our past."

"It's nobody's fault mom," I tell her as I slip from her embrace. "I wanted to tell you and dad everything, but I was afraid of letting you guys down and not being able play ball or not having any friends."

"Even still, you must've been so lonely when you discovered yourself and your power."

"I wasn't. I had Keon. He's the reason I discovered myself and my power. And he helped me understand both."

"Well then remind me to thank him." Mom smiles as she heads around the king sized bed to a massive walk-in closet. "I've taken some time off from my practice to look out for you until things cool off around here. If anything happens, I'll be there."

"There's a lot we need to talk about mom, but I have to check on Dustin and Tory first. I owe them an apology."

"Well first you need to go and take a shower. You look and smell like Friday," Mom quips and the metal hooks of the hangers screech across sturdy, wooden, hanging rods. "But after that you should talk to your friends. And don't be afraid to call Keon either."