Collateral

I can feel my blood flush and warm beneath dark skin as a group of students stare at what used to be my Corvette. It's like someone crushed it with such force it warped into a yellow, mangled VW Bug. And of course someone had to spray paint the letters F-A-G on to the sides along with any other homosexual insults they could muster up.

     It's like an episode of 9-1-1. The fire department, EMT's, and those state troopers Mayor Goodwin summoned are all over the place. They make an attempt to control a filming crowd and examine my car while everyone stares and murmurs to each other.

     Several teachers shoo off the students and barricade the scene. State troopers direct gawking traffic through the parking lot while Principal White approaches me through the crowd of bystanders.

"Shiloh!" he yells in urgency over the noise of chaos. "What's going on? Do you have any idea who could've done this?" he requires, his face holding on to genuine concern.

"No, but I have an idea," I mumble just barely above a whisper. I'm so sure it's DeShea. And the others. Maybe the whole team at this point. I'm so pissed inside, but I can't let it show.

     There's so many people watching and forming their opinions of me. And the more I watch them, the more I realize it's not just students. Parents have started gathering as well. Anything I do now will just fan the flames.

"What was that son? Speak up." Principal White leans his towering figure over to me and the smell of Tom Ford and eco style gel cascades down.

"Nothing. I don't know who could've done this Principal White," I lie.

"Well we've already informed your mom, so sit tight. She should be here any minute. Until then the Detectives wants to speak with you on the matter." Principal White waves over Howard and his partner from the crowd and he rushes over eager to pick my brain again.

     "Detectives? Is it really that serious?" I ask Principal White.

     "I know you guys aren't used to the police being around, but we aren't the bad guys. On the force, we take hate crimes seriously. Nip situations like this in the bud before they can escalate." Howard carries a smug grin over to the conversation. "I'll take over from here Principal White. Shiloh, we meet again." His voice is warm and friendly as Principal White walks away to continue managing the crowd, but I know the callous man behind that smile. 

     "Once again, against my will," I give as I turn my back on the crowd.

     "At least we're not alone this time. I brought a friend." He grins again as if he's truly excited to introduce us, but that can't be the case.

     "Shiloh? I'm Detective Ross. I work special victims cases like this all the time I just want to ask you a few questions. Is that ok?" She looks slightly crowed brown eyes down at me and her sleeked brows furrow with gentle concern.

     "Do I have a choice?" I sigh, feeling their hidden motives.

     "I just want to make sure we get the punks that did this to you," she says with stern sincerity. "Do you have any idea who could've done this?"

     "Principal White just asked the same thing. I told him no." I offer as I peep How's game. He purposely chose a black, warm, and motherly cop to disarm me.

     "Did you tell him the truth?" How glares at me as his grin slips and I have to fight the urge to walk away.

     "I thought you guys were here to help me. Are you assuming something detective?" I ask doing my best to keep my face blank, emotionless.