(2) After The Marriage

“Why can't you come?!”
Laith was sitting in his apartment talking on a video call.
Miss halima Rahman was yelling on the other side of the phone.

“Ammi! (mom), I got things to do. I have my studies, and I can't just come to Pakistan every time there is a wedding,” He was trying to speak softly, but he was failing to do so.

“It's not anyone's marriage. She meant so much to you. She was your best friend,” His mother protested.
“She is gonna come here anyway, so I don't see any reason to come there.” He was getting irritated.

“You better go receive her at the airport, Laith,” Her voice softened.

“I will.” He finished the call and threw the phone at the sofa.
He lay down on the sofa and began massaging his temples.

It had been four days since he received that invitation. He was ignoring his thoughts for the last four days, but it wasn't working out so well.

'Why the fuck is she getting married?' thoughts echoed in his head.
'Just shut up, Laith. Why do you care?'
“I DON'T” He silenced his thoughts, and took a deep breath to relax himself.

In Pakistan, a girl in her early twenties was sitting in front of a dressing table.

She was an amber-eyed brunette with very long hair which almost reached her thighs. She had a fair face and alluring lips. Furthermore, she had a charming aura, and attracting people seemed effortless for her.

“Taaliah, what are you looking at?” someone asked entering the room.
She snapped from her thoughts and looked back.

“Just brushing my hair Maa (mom)” She smiled, and although she faked it, it was a spell bounding smile.

“The house is in chaos. The marriage is in a few days, and you are here brushing your hair,” Her mother complained.

“I am sorry. I'll be there in a minute,” She spoke in a dim voice.

Her mom left rushing, and she looked back at the mirror.
Suddenly tears began filling her eyes.
She stared in her big, amber eyes filled with tears and emptiness.

'Why do I have to go mom? How am I going to live there? With him?…'

A tear began falling from her eye, rolling down her cheek, as she remembered Laith.

Thoughts began screaming in her head.
'Why do you have to be there too, Laith? Why can't it be easy? Why can't I just love him and forget you? Why?'
Silent tears were now flowing from her eyes.

“TAALIAH!” her sister shouted from outside.
She snapped from her worries.
“Coming,” She cleaned her eyes and rushed outside.

Jeremy and Laith were sitting outside a café. Jeremy was drinking coffee.
While Laith was staring at his bracelet, holding a mug in his hands. He seemed lost in his head.

Suddenly he spoke, “Taaliah is moving here,”
Jeremy glanced at his face and then asked, “Who is Taaliah?”

“Taaliah is…” He paused to find words. Jeremy suddenly looked at him, confused.

Then he continued, “Taaliah is the bitch I wanted to fuck since I was twelve.”

Jeremy abruptly Spat his coffee all over the table and stared at Laith in shock.

“Your first crush is coming to Sacramento?” He asked, not even aware of his messed up reaction.

A waiter ran toward them and cleaned the table while Laith just sharply stared at the stain on his sleeve.
He took a tissue and wiped it.