Chapter 7 - CHARLES

Hi everyone, Alex here. Hope you enjoy THE TRANSPORT so far. Just to let you know: THE TRANSPORT is also available as an audio book podcast on the big podcast platforms. Searching for Alex Ames The Transport should bring you to the episodes and subscribing will deliver you the latest episode to your player. Alternatively, check out my homepage alexames.net.

Enough advertising, let's get on with the story.

Charles settled back in his chair and put his hands on the table. He had no notes; the Gatekeeping facts were all in his memory.

A Gatekeeper never writes anything down, was one of his mentor's rules when he had handed over TINCAN to Charles.

"During the night of July 12th, 1952, an object crashed in a remote spot in the New Mexico desert. As this was during the Korean conflict and the Cold War ramp-up, we had a significant presence in that desert to perform bomb tests, to run trials on plane technologies, and play with rockets. The object came down in the middle of nowhere but got detected immediately. Not by radars but by most earthquake Richter counters globally. The object turned out to be a single piece of structure. Not Russian. Not from earth."

"Stop talking about structures, objects and riddles," the President said.

"An UFO came falling from the sky and we've kept it hidden for the last seventy-plus years," Charles simplified his story.

The President and his National Security Advisor stared at Charles.

"Son, who can confirm that you are a real Gatekeeper and not a nutcase able to fool the military to prepare a cockeyed operation in New Mexico?" the President asked.

"I have a safe at the Washington Millennium Bank that contains the Gatekeeper authorizations for TINCAN. It does not state my name, but they can check authenticity against the Green Book," Charles said. The Green Book was an ever-changing code directory with authentication and challenge codes for ongoing, planned and deferred operations and core military functions.

The President exchanged glances with Noona Patel, who shrugged. "We'll check after this meeting. But all authorizations provided by Charles so far were valid."

"The... UFO collided with our planet?" The President gave Charles a death stare that clearly said shit-me-not.

"Our scientists are pretty sure it was not a collision like an asteroid hitting earth. With the amount of energy in play, such collision would have caused a catastrophic event for Earth, think about a bullet through a melon. No, judging from the object's weight and the resulting impact crater, the thing had dropped from the sky by mere gravity. Maybe it had hovered in orbit and had some failure that caused it to ground. We have no way of knowing."

The President stood up and paced the floor. "You want to tell me, there is an UFO in our possession? All this crazy Area 51 Roswell captured alien myth stuff is true?"