Chapter Twelve - LEO

Leo and Eva ran into Herbert in the afternoon, when the stressed-out looking Facility Manager passed their cubicles. The man looked as if he had partied through the night, dark pouches under tired eyes, wearing a crumbled shirt.

"Hey Herb," Leo called out and got up from behind his workstation. Over the years they had formed a sort of slob-to-slob relationship, standing together with beer in hands at the company barbecues.

Eva, working at her desk behind the partition, also stood, and stared at her watch, then at Herbert, as if she were surprised to see him.

"You know each other?" Leo glanced between Eva and Herbert.

Herbert couldn't stop staring at Eva.

Yeah, you ape, and I have the privilege of working beside her all day. And you don't! Leo thought.

"No, we don't," Herbert eventually diverted his eyes, giving Leo an annoyed smile and turned to Eva. "Good to meet you. I'm Herbert, the building guy." He held out his hand to Eva over the cubicle wall. She did not shake it, instead took a step back. Her face was poker-face blank.

Another awkward pause which Leo tried to overplay. "Listen, Eva here had a question about our parking lot."

Herbert kept a straight face but couldn't keep a twitch from his left eye. "What about our parking lot? Vagrants?"

Leo looked at Eva. "Your observation?"

Eva said with a nervous voice. "I was... Never mind." She sat down again behind her workstation, keys clacking.

Leo and Herb both looked at the spot where Eva's head had vanished.

"Well," Leo said, "our shy new coworker had a question about the size of our front parking lot. Commenting on the massive oversize."

"Oversize?" Herbert's face turned tense. "Sorry, I don't have time for this. Is your boss in?"

Leo looked over to the office. "His door is closed, so I guess either/or."

"Talk to you later," Herbert said and steered towards the office.

Leo looked after him. No time for an answer? Herb, you were as uncomfortable as if we discovered porn on your computer. He sat down and talked to his screen in a normal voice. "What was that all about?"

"Nothing," came the curt answer from behind the partition. Leo stood up again and peered over. Eva's attractive mouth was a small thin line, her eyes not leaving the screen.

"Herbert is Herbert; he doesn't bite."

Eva cleared her throat. "You wanted to show me the toolsets available in the software library?"

Leo sighed. "My little mysterious spy! I recognize a smoothly-laid segway when I see it. All right, keep me out of the loop, it's poor Leo. Tools you want, tools you get."

He rolled over on his chair into her cubicle and took over her computer mouse. She boxed him softly with her elbow, her perfume all around him.

I wish this workday could last forever!

----------

A short chapter, I know. More to come! Eva's acting more and more suspicious. What's going on with this lady?

 What's going on with this lady?