Ch 11: Never Knew I Needed

Mal POV

Jay had disappeared for the longest time during the ball and I didn't know where he went. Evie and Carlos had dates but they were still checking in every so often to make sure I hadn't made a fool of myself in front of all the dignitaries from the kingdoms. 

The fireworks were going off and I used the distraction to look around the plaza from the balcony. I spotted Evie and Doug and Carlos and Jane and smiled to myself. But my smile soon faded when I finally saw Jay.

He was currently in a loving embrace with y/n. I exhaled angrily and was going to go to them when I got a better idea.

I told you not to mess with me y/n. Now you're going to feel my wrath...

The next Monday....(3 days to the Solstice) 

Y/n POV

"You've been in a good mood ever since the ball. Did you actually get your happily ever after moment?" Celia asked while wiggling her eyebrows. I smiled a bit and Uma cut in.

"She's happy because we are 3 days and 18 hours away from ruling all the known kingdoms," Uma said. Harry nodded, gesturing grandly.

"She's happy because it's no longer that sickening sunny weather outside, but rather there's a pleasant chill in the air," he suggested. I laughed at all their ideas until Zanmi appeared in front of us.

"You're all partially correct. She's happy because Jay finally confessed to her and they kissed under the moonlight and exploding fireworks," she said. The others paused and looked at me.  Celia snapped out of it first and squealed.

"Oh my genie is that true?" She asked already hugging me. I giggled.

"Mostly, but the kiss came before the fireworks," I corrected which made Zanmi roll her eyes. Harry wasn't smiling at all.

"Are you sure that you want to do this?" He asked me seriously. I nodded and smiled.

"I understand the risk and I appreciate you worrying about me, but I can't live my whole in fear. He swore he wouldn't hurt me and I'm going to trust him," I said confident in my answer. Harry sighed and put a hand around my shoulder.

"If he hurts you, I'm killing him," he told me and I chuckled but I was appreciative. We continued walking on campus and I saw my love from across the way. I was going to go see him but I hesitated.

He was walking with Mal, Evie, and Carlos and laughing a little too joyously. I'm not a crazy jealous person, it's just that he's acting different from before. I walked over to him smiling cautiously.

"Hey Carlos, hey Jay, how are you doing?" I asked them, ignoring that Mal and Evie were there. Carlos looked on edge too but Jay just smiled.

"I'm fine but I need to talk to you. You got a minute?" He asked and turned to walk off. I smiled and nodded, letting him lead me a little away.

"So what's up? You've been harder to find than a long sleeve shirt for Harry," I said giggling. He didn't laugh—which kind of hurt—and his face was strangely blank. I tilted my head to the side. "Jay what's wrong—"

"Y/n we can't be together," he interrupted me. I paused and then shook my head. I didn't hear that right, that's all. There's no way... "It's just I realized that my place is...w-with M-mal. So I c-can't be w-with you and I don't....." He trailed off and he seemed to be struggling. I'm struggling not to cry.

"So you lied to me? After we promised to trust each other?" I spoke quietly so he wouldn't hear my voice crack. I searched his eyes for something, anything, that told me he was playing a sick joke. He stared at me but his eyes were devoid of the admiration that used to be there.