24: Have A Little Faith

Mateo stood outside the hospital room with Vittoria sobbing lightly into his chest. It had been two whole hours since their daughter was rushed in here and they hadn't heard anything. Not knowing why Gianna was in here was killing both of them but deep down both knew she'd pull through - she had to.

Meanwhile inside the room, Devonte stood off to the side while watching the doctors monitor his girlfriend and administer different fluids and drugs through her IV. Everything they gave her they had to double check since she is pregnant and they didn't want anything to harm the unborn child so that made the whole process extra long.

Gianna was awake but drowsy - which was to be expected. She simply lay there staring at the ceiling in silence while letting the doctors do whatever they needed to do. Truthfully she was still trying to wrap her head around the fact that she was pregnant. On one hand she was happy about it but on the other she was as scared as ever. The miscarriage that had occurred some months ago was poking at her and she was worried the same thing would happen again.

"Miss Romano, can you hear me?"

She looked at the doctor and nodded her head. "Y-Yes."

"We're going to take you through to do an ultrasound so that we can make sure the baby is okay, then we can also determine how far along you are."

"Okay." She replied and then looked to Devonte who was already looking at her.

He smiled softly and walked over to her side. He leaned down and kissed her forehead before stepping aside to let the doctors prep the bed to be moved. Then, when that was all done, he held onto Gianna's hand as they started making their way down to the room where the ultrasound would be taking place.

Mateo and Vittoria rushed towards them immediately causing the doctors to stop. Gianna reached out and grabbed her father's hand.

"Sto bene (I'm okay)."

"They need to do a few more checks and then we'll be back." Devonte added.

Vittoria sighed and wiped her tears. "We were so worried. I'm glad you are okay tesoro (treasure)."

The doctors then started moving again and Gianna's parents watched her and Devonte disappear into the elevator at the end of the hall.

Eventually they came to a room that was plain and simple. A middle aged woman sat beside the ultrasound machine, ready and waiting. She greeted the couple with a warm smile.

"Congratulations on your baby. My name is Gale and I'll be doing your ultrasound today. Can you roll your shirt up for me honey?"

Devonte helped Gianna roll her shirt up, exposing her flat stomach. All the while Gale flicked through the file that she'd just been given from one of the doctors. She paused when she saw the last hospital records for Gianna...the miscarriage. That for Gale brought back memories of her own miscarriage. She sighed and closed the folder, giving her attention to the couple.

"Your file says that you experienced losing a baby a few months ago, I'm very sorry for your loss. I know how you must have felt and probably are still feeling, I went through the same thing myself."

Gianna sat up a little more. "You did?"

"Yes. This was when I was a lot younger though and just starting out in my career. My husband and I were so excited and then all of sudden our happiness was crushed. It was so hard those first few weeks but as I came to terms with it, it got a little easier and then about four months later we were expecting again. That was so unexpected and I was scared, but I carried full term and now I have my twin boys who I wouldn't trade for the world. I always say that I got lucky with the twins. They don't run in either side of the family so to me that was God giving me another baby to signify the one that I'd lost."