30: Falling Tears

Pretty much just a filler hence the reason why it's a little on the shorter side. I haven't had much time to write lately so I'm trying to get as many chapters ready as I can ❤ thank you to everyone who's rocking with this book, I appreciate you!

Gianna lay on the bed with Devonte's arm thrown over her and his head resting on her chest. It'd been an entire day since they got the news of his diagnosis and he wasn't taking it very well. Gianna, as his fiance and soon to be wife, hated the fact that there was nothing that she could do right now to make everything better. She was trying to keep it together for his sake but it was hard, especially since she had to go to an ultrasound today. 

Adriano had left Donatello with his maternal grandmother and had stayed with the couple to make sure they were both okay and help out. Calogero was also on his way back from New York and he'd be coming to stay with them as well seeing as though they were at the new house, the one Gianna had bought months ago.

Feeling down, Devonte didn't want any of his family or friends to be around. He couldn't bare them being around when he couldn't even see them, let alone them seeing his new struggles and him sometimes having to pinch his eyelids just to see something - even if that picture was still semi-blurred. His Italian brothers and his almost wife were the only people he allowed to come around him - the boys more so because he knew that they were the only ones who could see right through Gianna and because of this, he knew they'd assure she was one hundred percent okay. 

"Devonte?" Gianna called softly and gently shook his sweating body. "Baby, wake up."

It was very obvious that he was having a bad dream. Still, he remained asleep. 

She shook him a little harder. "Baby wake up."

In an instant, he shot up, breathing heavily. Gianna sat up slowly and grabbed his arm, which he snatched away out of shock.

"Relax, it's only me baby. You're okay."

There was silence before Devonte began sobbing. Gianna wrapped her arms around him and held him as he cried into her chest. 

"I'm over this Gia." He cried and rubbed his hands up and down her back. "I just want to see! How can I ever live a normal life like this? I won't be able to see you...I won't be able to see our daughter! It's not fair!"

"We're going to fix this, I promise you that. We just have to wait a little bit longer. Your examination is booked for next week and if the doctor checks everything out, you'll be able to get the correcting surgery."

Devonte simply held her tighter and continued to let his emotions show. All his fiance could do was whisper reassuring words in his ear and continue to hold him. This continued for about ten minutes, then he began to settle down. Gianna gently lifted his head from her chest when his sobs and sniffles had subsided and pressed her lips against his. He smiled against them and kissed her back, loving how the small gesture seemed to brighten him up a bit. 

When they pulled away she caressed his cheeks softly and smiled. Devonte kept one arm wrapped around her while moving his hand up to pinch his eyelids a little. His smile widened when he clearly saw his beautiful fiance already smiling back at him. 

"You are so strong Devonte and I love that about you. Every challenge you face, you conquer it and more, and I know it will be no different with this new challenge. I'll be supporting you every step of the way." 

"I'm so lucky to have you. You put up with so much and handle it with such grace. The way you have stuck by me through everything amazes me everyday and I really can't imagine life without you. Thank you for being my leading lady. I love you so much."