Surprise

I unlocked the door to my apartment that I shared with my boyfriend, Chris, and threw my keys on the kitchen table before heading upstairs. It was late and I expected he was asleep, so I opened the door to our bedroom quietly.
“Surprise!” He shouted.
The room was lit dimly with candles and decorated with balloons (on which photographs of us from the past 3 years hung) and flower petals. On the bed was a neatly wrapped gift.
“Aw Chris, you shouldn’t have.” I said, smiling.
“I’ve missed you and I wanted to do something special.” He said before pulling me into a hug and kissing my forehead.
I sat down on the bed and picked up the gift, I shook it softly but didn’t hear anything. I carefully unwrapped the neat, red parcel and gasped. Inside the box was another smaller box; but I knew exactly what was in it. Chris took the box from my hands and stood up to come over to where I was sitting.
“Y/N” he started, before kneeling down in front of me “I love you so much, you mean the world to me and I want to spend the rest of my life with you.”
He paused and opened the box, inside was the most gorgeous silver ring, with a sapphire in the middle and 2 diamonds either side.
“Y/N Y/L/N, will you marry me?” He asked, looking hopefully at me.
“Of course I will, Chris! I love you so much!” I said before he carefully slipped the ring onto my finger.
I stood up and kissed him, smiling. I caught sight of the time – 00:27 – and realized we should probably go to sleep!
When I woke up in the morning, I could smell bacon and eggs; Chris was making breakfast, so I quickly showered and put on a casual outfit before going downstairs.
“Morning beautiful.” He said, smiling, before pulling me into a kiss.
“It smells good in here.” I said, sitting down at the table.
“Well, I thought I’d make breakfast for my fiancé.” He said.
The previous night's events suddenly came flooding back to me, and I grinned! I looked down at my hand, at the gorgeous ring that sat there.
“How’d you know what size to get?” I asked.
“I might’ve stolen that ring your parents got you for your 18th so I knew!” He laughed.
I laughed with him.
“When are we going to tell our families?” He asked.
“Why not this weekend, we can invite everyone over and make an evening of it.” I replied.
“Good idea, I'll get to inviting my family.”
“As will I!”
We talked about the wedding and when we wanted it and all the details over breakfast before starting to invite our families for a meal on Saturday.