Episode 3

When my parents came home that evening, I helped make dinner while Connor texted someone on his phone. He never did anything to help around the house and nobody ever said anything. He was the Golden child - my dad's favorite.

Meanwhile if I said I wasn't feeling well, they'd go into a fit that I never help and only stay in my room all day. My dad thinks I'm lazy while my mom worries about my social status. She knows I only have two friends and even they never come to visit.

I definitely preferred having my own space and having my personal life separated from school.Diana and Addie were great but I wouldn't call them my best friends. I didn't feel a particular connection to them and I didn't know why they even wanted me around.

Diana was very popular. She was a cheerleader after all. She had boys wrapped around her finger, ready to do her bidding while she laughed in amusement. She was the kind of beautiful that attracted attention the moment she walked through the door.

Adelaide, however, wasn't as loud or demanding attention. Hers came naturally and without much effort. Oftentimes, I felt like she was Diana's shadow like me. Last year, Addie was voted for class president and re-elected this year. She was ambitious and smart, always offering to help other students with their studies and homework.

Yet the three of us had nothing in common. I wasn't popular, I didn't like sports or cheerleading and I really couldn't care less about school politics.

I knew that after school was over, none of us would stay in touch. Even after classes or during summer, I didn't receive one text from either of them. I saw on their social media that they met up regularly but I was never invited.

Much like they were never invited to come over and stay for dinner at my house.

My mom was cutting up carrots while dad prepared the chicken. I was in charge of setting the table and making soup.

"Did you hear we have new neighbors?" Mom asked. "I thought it would take much longer for them to move in considering it's only been a few weeks since Tabitha's death."

"There's high demand for houses right now and the bank was more than happy to sell it to the Ashers," my dad explained which puzzled me.

"I thought you said Mrs. Engerine left all her belongings to a charity organization," I chimed in.

"Mrs. Engerine didn't own her house. Her husband did and left it to his brother who decided to sell it after she died," mom informed me as she began peeling potatoes. Her light brown hair was pulled away from her face and put into a low ponytail and her sleeves were rolled up so as to not get into contact with our food. My mom was very adamant when it came to hygiene. She worked for a big pharmaceutical company and had been obsessed with keeping the house clean.

I picked up most of her habits while Connor couldn't care less. He didn't even change his shirt during the weekend.

"Did you know that the Ashers have a son about your age, Astrid? I'll make some lasagna tomorrow and you can go over there and welcome them to the neighborhood. I'm sure they'll all appreciate it and you can make a friend," mom pushed, trying to get me out of the house more.

"I'm sure Connor would be more suited for it. He's friends with Kai," I pointed out, trying not to get irritated.

"Connor has practice and you're not doing anything after school. Your dad and I would go but we're working," mom replied.

"If Connor has practice then so has Kai and his parents are probably at work too," I said, trying to reason with her. Knowing that I was right, my mom gave me an exasperated look.