23

"Hey, Julie, it's time," Rob said through the closed door.

"Just a second," Julie replied before saying to Flynn, "Something's wrong. The boys were getting those jolts pretty bad as we were leaving. And they wouldn't stand me up again. They must have run out of time." Her voice broke, cracking slightly.

Julie tried to hold in her tears as Flynn said softly, "I'm sorry."

"They didn't cross over. They're gone, and I didn't even get to say goodbye."

The two friends hugged each other.

Rob knocked on the door. "Hey, Julie, you're on!"

Julie ran from the room in tears.

"What are you doing?" Flynn called after Julie.

"Where is she going?" Rob asked.

Flynn shrugged. "Where do any of us really go?"

Rob spoke into his headset. "We've got a problem."

---

Julie found a door and made her way to an alley, taking a deep breath and glanced up. "I don't know if you can hear me, Mom, but... I can't handle it. Flynn says you're supposed to be behind everything, but I don't know. If I'm supposed to help the guys, I didn't. They're gone. And I'm so sorry. They were my friends. My band-" She let out a sob. "My family. Why can't you just come pick me up... and... and hold me in your arms and just tell me that everything's gonna be okay and that I'm gonna get through it? I just wish you were here."

A woman walked past Julie with a bag of flowers. She turned when she saw the crying girl. She pulled out a flower and handed it to Julie. It was a dahlia. Julie smiled as she held the flower. She took it as a sign. She held the flower close to her and smiled.

---

The Orpheum seats were filled.

Rob, in a panicked tone, said into his headset, "Let Panic! know they are going on now!"

The door opened and Julie walked in.

Julie held up the dahlia and said, "Signs."

The teen singer set to perform began making her way to the stage.

"Wait," Flynn said. "Where are you going? She's going on stage!"

"Hold on," Rob said. "Julie just walked onto the stage."

"That's my girl!"

"Welcome to Live at the Orpheum. Now give it up for Julie and the Phantoms!" the announcer said.

Julie sat in front of the piano.

The crowd cheered as Julie smiled. She placed the dahlia on the keyboard for good luck and pulled the mic from the stand before she said, "Hi. I'm Julie. Tonight, I'd like to dedicate this song to my mom, who's been there with me every time I've played, and thank her for not giving up on me."

Julie looked up and continued. "I'd also like to dedicate tonight's performance to three special friends who have changed my life completely, who have brought music back to me. It was their dream to play here, and this is for them. This song is for anyone who's lost their way. Step into your greatness. Don't give up. Stand tall."

Carrie scoffed and said, "Been here before."

Trevor glanced at his daughter and a look of disbelief crossed his face at her words.

Julie put the mic back on the stand, took a deep breath, and looked up once more before playing notes on the keyboard.

Carlos and Cameron looked at their sister, proud of her. The audience cheered Julie on.

She began singing.

Julie jumped back after Alex appeared with his drums. She smiled, seeing that they were still there. Trevor Wilson sat up straighter, a shocked expression. He found it strange that the boy looked like Alex. Reggie appeared and looked out at the audience a relieved, excited smile. The audience applauded.

Luke flashed in and out.

Alex and Reggie shared a concerned look.

Julie kept staring at Luke who finally was able to fully appear after staring at Julie and sang.

Julie smiled and continued singing. Nick bopped his head to the music.

Trevor watched the performance, in complete shock. Carrie crossed her arms, in both awe and jealousy.

Alex stood behind his drum set and sang. Reggie sang along.

The group stood at the front of the stage as they sang. They held hands and looked out to the audience. They bowed and the ghosts disappeared. Julie looked around to see that the ghosts were gone and it occurred to her that she'd probably never see them again. She smiled at the audience and waved to her family.

"Still don't know how she does those hologram things," Ray said.

"One big mystery to me," Carlos and Cameron replied, knowing exactly who the 'holograms' were. The twins exchanged a smirk.

Carrie stood slowly and clapped her hands. Bobby remained in his seat, in total shock.