Chapter 12

(Raph’s POV) ((A/N: Bet ya didn’t see that comin. XP))

Birds cawed in the trees, but besides that there was no other noise. One emerald green figure sat quietly on the porch, staring off into the trees. Something was out there, watching him. Watching his friends and family. The figure growled. It would not hurt them again.

The threat seemed to wisp away in the wind and the creature on the porch somewhat relaxed. Raph let his mind wander.

Not long ago, Kathrine had been sitting in the kitchen, staring out into the forest. Oh yes, Raph had seen her leave and at the time he had not cared whether she came or went. He should have cared. Just a little under an hour, she came back, but not skipping and her eyes bright with mischief and happiness. No. Her eyes had been filled with pain and fear. That moment when her un-biological sister had cried out her name, he had known something was wrong and it turned his blood to ice. When Raph saw her, his heart shattered. But why was he so broken? And why had he offered to carry her home? Why had he been the one to stay with her? And why had he been the one to comfort her? He himself did not know, nor did anyone else. All Raph knew was that when Kathrine’s eyes had been wide with terror and distant, he hugged her without any warning. He kept her close, offering every ounce of comfort he had. When she had calmed and hugged back, he had smiled with relief. It was then he realized what he had done. Raph pulled back to see a light blush on the young girl’s cheeks. He didn’t even realize that he was doing the same.

They hadn’t known each other for long. Sure they had a lot in common and were quite good friends. But what was this new feeling? Raph had never felt like this when he met Casey or April. They were just friends right?

So why could he not think of anything or anyone but the brown haired fox mutant?

(Mikey’s POV)

Mikey stood in front of the freezer, door wide open, and Ice Cream Kitty happily sitting in front of him. He smiled brightly as the creamy kitty licked his nose, leaving a drop of half melted icy goodness. Mikey licked his nose, savoring the deliciousness of his mutant pal. His brothers called him odd, strange, and just plain weird, but Mikey didn’t care. He was always carefree and he knew his bros didn’t mean it.

But lately Mikey had been feeling odd. Something  had been nagging at his brain and tugging at his heart. Ever since that moment when Mikey had leaned in closer to Joleen, he had butterflies in his stomach and a light pinkish dusting on his cheeks. Mikey didn’t understand this new feeling.

He felt the need to comfort her when she was sad, protect her when she was in danger.

Mikey had never felt this way before. She just couldn’t escape his mind and for the first time ever, he wasn’t thinking about pizza.