Chapter Twenty-Seven

The pair were sleeping. After their small conversation, she'd quickly fallen asleep not being able to fight against the exhaustion which was constantly pulling at her. It had started off as just "I'm resting my eyes" which had soon turned into not being able to respond to the conversation. It had brought humour and an emotional softness to himself which he was more than happy to enjoy.

Not wanting to miss the moment, he'd sat up against the headboard and allowed the sound of breathing and heartbeats to soothe him. He'd also spent some time looking down lovingly, and creepily, at his girlfriend and the girl who'd been his best friend since before he could remember. The reminder that he was the only one who'd been hurt during the previous night and that they were fine. They were fine and they were all alive. Especially the one he'd hurt the most with all of his lies and his own thirst for power.

Margo, on the other hand, was sprawled out in the king-sized bed buried beneath the duvet and the collection of pillows. Her hand was still loosely holding onto his not wanting to let go just yet. It was the most comfortable they'd both been in ages and even in their sleeping states, they wanted to savour the moments. It was so quiet and peaceful and filled with so much love.

The flash of the red lights and the sound of the alarm echoed throughout the loft and Derek woke up with a jump. Leaping from the bed, he stepped across the random coffee table that was beside the bed and shut the alarm off. At the actions, Margo jumped up with a start her head looking around the loft with bleary eyes and a confused glare. Everything felt foggy and she could barely see what was going on around her but everything had happened too quickly for her to not wake up.

Cora had entered the loft and was looking kind of sheepish at the fact she'd woken them both up and set the alarm off. Her eyes kept flickering between her confused brother and the window and Derek took the opportunity to look at the window where the alpha packs symbol was. "What does it mean?" Cora asked. Upon hearing the voice, Margo dropped her head back down onto the bed and rolled over falling asleep almost immediately.

"It means they're coming..." Derek growled at the thought of it. That the alpha pack were coming to attack the loft, "tonight."

Hearing the sound of the loft door opening and smelling the two familiar scents, Derek fought the urge to roll his eyes. It was around half an hour after Cora had left and he was sat on the black stairs. Margo was still asleep and unable to force herself to wake up although due to the lack of Derek she'd taken up, if possible, even more of the bed in an effort to get comfortable. He didn't bother to greet the two teenage boys as he spoke, "go back to school," he ordered his voice quieter than usual.

The two boys had walked in with a collection of hose pipes and electrical wires wrapped around their arms causing Derek to be confused but he didn't comment on it. He had to look like he knew what was going on even if he didn't.

"Well-" Isaac began loudly.

"Ssshh," Derek cut in his order short and sharp and Isaac looked to him confused. Derek threw his head to the side and the two boys looked to where the human was still sleeping and Isaac nodded.

"Well," he began again this time much quieter than before, "actually, we can't. Boyd and I are incredibly and unbelievably sick."

Derek could only scoff at the words, "with what? Brain damage?" He asked as he pushed himself up to his feet and began to walk down the stairs.

"Well, I have a migraine, and, uh... Boyd here has explosive diarrhoea." Isaac mused and Boyd rolled his eyes already annoyed with his friend.

"We're here to protect you," he said to stop wasting time with the small talk that was only proving to him why he shouldn't be friends with Isaac.