Pretty Woman

Light filtered in through the windows of the white room. 

I groaned, pushing myself up to a seated position. My eyes burned slightly. Maybe from the pool chlorine? One thing I did know for certain: I stayed up way too late last night.

The night's events began replaying in my mind. A smile crept across my face. It was all so disorientating at first, but now... It feels like I could start a life here, wherever "here" really is.

Gatsby was so... unexpected. I thought I knew the ins and outs of this character prior to yesterday. but there is a lot I still need to learn. He is familiar to the novel's Gatsby, but there are these little moments that catch me off guard. Moments that cause me to stop and question everything I held to be true about Gatsby before meeting him.

After I climbed out of  the bed, I made sure to remake the bed. There was no way of knowing how much work went into getting this room ready for me last night. I wouldn't want anyone having to come in and straighten anything up when I am perfectly capable of cleaning myself.

The bathroom was very simple. It had a lovely shade of blue on the walls. There was a clawfoot tub, but no shower. Do showers exist in the twenties? That will certainly be an adjustment for me. I always loved taking a long shower. At home, I actually own a waterproof speaker specifically for my shower so I could sing.

Thankfully, Ms. Annika had left a toothbrush on the edge of the sink. a tube of Colgate rested next to it. "Huh," I said examining the tube. It looked and tasted a lot different from what I was used to, but at least it had a familiarity to it.

Brand names aren't exactly trustworthy though. Just because they exist in my timeline does not mean they were safe to use in the 1920s... I'm pretty sure Coca-Cola still has cocaine in it right now. I'll definitely need to remember that.

There was a knock at the door.

I paused brushing for a moment to answer, "come in!" 

Ms. Annika's head peered through the door. "Good morning Alice, would you like to have your cereal in your room? Or downstairs?" 

I spat out my toothpaste and quickly wiped my mouth. "I thought it would be nice to eat downstairs. I figured Gatsby may want company-"

"Mr. Gatsby is out," Ms. Annika said. "I can still arrange to have your breakfast in the front parlor though."

Oh. I guess it's no surprise that Gatsby would be out. He had to work hard for what he has and I'm sure it takes just as much work to maintain it all.

"Don't worry dear, he will be back soon. He's just gone out to an early lunch with a friend I think."

I unconsciously raised my eyebrows. Worried? Did I look worried?

If Gatsby was out for lunch, I have a good idea of who he'll be with. I hope Nick is prepared for Gatsby's fast-paced driving.

"The front parlor would be nice," I said. "Thank you."

Ms. Annika nodded, "I will have that set up then. Come down any time you like." As Annika went to close the door, she peered in again, "I almost forgot! Gatsby has arranged for you to have a visitor."

A visitor? "Do you know who it is?"

"Yes, I believe it is a mister... Jacques? He makes Mr. Gatsby's clothes on occasion. I believe he is here to help put some outfits together for you." Ms. Annika grinned. "You will like him, he is a very sweet man," she pauses for a moment and adds, "...though a little peculiar."

Well, do I get a say in this? It sounds like Gatsby has my morning already planned out for me... I'm not just some dress-up doll.

It was if Ms. Annika sensed my trepidation about the situation. "Mr. Gatsby just thought you'd want to wear more than a nightgown I suppose," she said, her hand still holding the edge of the door.