Epilogue

He did not expect his parents to be the catalyst to spur him into action.

First his dad. "Not everything good is good for you. Sometimes you have to leave something good when it no longer works. We can't become resilient and have faith in our ability to deal with pain if we don't experience hardship. And who knows, this might not be the right person for you so being rejected could be a blessing. Divorce courts are full of people who wish they could go back in time and hear a no!"

His mom shared her opinion. "And really now, what person of value wants someone who doesn't have the balls to speak the truth and take the consequences? Life is generally one crappy thing after another with occasional periods of happiness. Illness, death, losing a job, deciding to take on the fearful step of having and raising children. All terrifying things where a partner with courage is needed."

Dad continued nagging during his next visit home. "Tragedy is a mother who wakes up in a hospital to learn her husband and 3 children died in an auto accident that only left her with a slight concussion and a broken arm. Tragedy is not being told your romantic feelings aren't reciprocated. That's just, that's just life!"

He knew they were right. They might not know the latest social networking platforms or video games or hottest music or entertainers, but the hopes and heartbreaks of love have been the same since the beginning of time. Anyone who has felt either, or especially the sting of both, can call themselves an expert. So, he practiced what to say until he had the words memorized. Nothing flowery, just a simple sincere declaration of his feelings.

He bought snacks and drinks and rented a new popular movie planning to confess at the end of the evening. The knock of the door startled him. It was time. He opened the door and it hit him – heart break is better as an appetizer than as a dessert – so with the door open to the hallway and absolutely no privacy, Mek stared into Boss's warm brown eyes, opened his mouth and spoke the words.