𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱᴇᴠᴇɴ
𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐌𝐈𝐒𝐄𝐒

❝ like grief, fury
was a dangerous venom
that snaked up her
heart and suffocated
her fragile soul. ❞

𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘳𝘥 𝘲𝘶𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺-𝘧𝘪𝘧𝘵𝘩 𝘩𝘶𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳 𝘨𝘢𝘮𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘥𝘢𝘺

𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺-𝘧𝘪𝘧𝘵𝘩 𝘩𝘶𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳 𝘨𝘢𝘮𝘦𝘴
𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘥𝘢𝘺

HER BODY TURNED TO MARBLE AND HER EYES STONE.

Everything that went by after the announcement flew past her eyes like the swift wind in the midnight sky—haunting and ghostly. After her final words trailed off into nothingness, Agate simply let Venus pamper and prod her body, preparing the tribute for the burning, intrusive questions in the spotlight no one wanted.

The stylist had scrubbed her skin pink, powdered her face white, smeared a golden cream all over her body, and slipped on the extravagant gown she had made. Agate barely felt the sugar rubbing against her skin or the soft brush that skimmed her dusty lips a bright burgundy. She did not notice the silky fabric that rested against her curves, just the weight that added to the pressure on her shoulders. It was not that Agate did not appreciate the styling team's efforts and handwork, but the apprehension of the Games happening tomorrow overthrew everything in its path.

However, she took a deep breath and looked at her reflection in the cursed mirror.

Agate saw a version of her that was broken with a beautiful shell.

The gown was beautiful, so was she, but the tribute could not help but feeling like she was betraying her late brother by enjoying the luxuries of the Capitol—the very people who cheered at the death of Oro.

"Live, Atha. Don't just survive, live. Live well and I can rest in peace."

It was not fair.

How was she supposed to be happy and live well when she was still stuck in a diamond cage with a leash around her neck, hand bound behind her back, yet eyes cruelly uncovered so that they could see all the horrid things happening around her?

It was not fair.

How could he say that in his dying breath? How could he say that he could only rest in peace with a condition so impossible to fulfill?

It wasn't fair.

It would never be fair.

Agate knew that, had accepted it, and that was the worst part.