𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭.

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇ
𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐄

❝ she wanted to
cut the strings that
made her a puppet, that
strangled her neck, tied
her limbs, and seized
her soul. ❞

𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘳𝘥 𝘲𝘶𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺-𝘧𝘪𝘧𝘵𝘩 𝘩𝘶𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳 𝘨𝘢𝘮𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘥𝘢𝘺

𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺-𝘧𝘪𝘧𝘵𝘩 𝘩𝘶𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳 𝘨𝘢𝘮𝘦𝘴
𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘥𝘢𝘺

THE ESCORTS USHERED THEIR VICTORS APART.

Most did so out of fear, others out of obligation.

Coile Curio marched behind the Barone siblings, his hands on their backs, pushing them forward. The mentors and the stylist followed in tow. His forehead crinkled as he muttered incomprehensible words under his breath, making the man seem like an insane asylum patient. The grey of his hair turned silver, glinting in old age and stress. Sweat had gathered on the nape of his neck, underneath his vibrant robes, on his scalp. His mind was no longer sound and anyone with eyes could spot that relatively easily.

"Go, go, go," he repeatedly hit their backs.

Iolite Barone hastened her pace, catching up to the man and coaxing his hands from her children. She turned towards the rest, both before and behind her, and cocked her head far into the corridor, telling them to go ahead wordlessly. Although the woman was cold, she had a heart that reached out to others.

"Hey, it's going to be fine," she tenderly told Coile as she patted his hands.

Looking into the mentor's soul, he recoiled and slapped her gentle hands away. He frowned deeply, laughing maniacally, "Of course you'd say that! You'd like that, wouldn't you? The tributes holding hands, oh, so great. No. No, it's not. What happened back there's gonna ruin everything for me. The Rebe—"

He slapped his mouth, frantically scouring every inch of the hallway. "No. They'll kill me. I shouldn't have even said that. They'll come after me, Iolite, they will. What do I do? What do I do? I don't want to die!" he ranted, his honey-brown skin turning stark white, eyes widening in fright.

He whimpered and shook, stiffening when a sharp sting hit his cheek and red bloomed like flowering tulips.

Iolite Barone's eyes were hard, her scarlet lips dragged downwards as she scowled. "Snap out of it," she spat.

The woman stepped menacingly forward, her height towering over the man, glowering down at him. He whimpered yet again. Shoulders caving in, his necks trained downwards painfully, spinelessly, in a pitiful manner. "If you feel this way right now, a Capitolian cowering under Snow's dictatorship, how do you think the people of the Districts feel?"