Chapter 3

Dex had turned quiet so I sneaked a peek at him from the corner of my eyes. I saw what other women must do aside from the attraction. He was five foot ten compared to my five foot seven frame and we both had jet black hair.

My eyes were hazel and his were emerald. Suddenly I feel Dex's body shaking and he throws back his head and laughs loudly. "Are you checking me out Ash?" I shook my head sighing. "Not in the traditional sense."

"I'm just noticing what your female admirers see when they go all goo goo eyed over you." Dex playfully shoved me exclaiming "Cut it out!" I wondered why he was avoiding talking about his date, he obviously didn't want to be alone but he wasn't exactly sharing either.

"It was fine really, as dates go. She turned up on time and made the effort to engage in conversation." I rolled my eyes, she was a goner. He might as well just say it. "She wasn't that bad, just a little serious for my taste and a bit on the pretentious side."

"You're a decent guy. You don't need to make excuses or justify your decision, if she wasn't suitable. It's fine to move on, just let her know." He nodded. "I already spoke to her afterwards and she wasn't feeling me either, so no hard feelings on either side."

"I think I was more laid back than she is used too." I smiled at his comment. That was the thing that I loved about my friend, in relationships he was really chilled out and mellow but in a partner that would infuriate me. 

I needed someone with a little less ambiguity and a little more temperament but as a companion he was perfect. Aside from his taste in women and occasionally forgetting to do the weekly grocery shop.

"Don't you think it's time you went on a few dates hmm? You got to admit, it's been a while since what's-his-face?" I grimaced. The buffoon he was referring too was Zack. We had dated for about six months off and on until I discovered his many infidelities. 

That was a year ago and my turbulent love life had not improved. I mean sure I went on the occasional date. I didn't always confide in Dex because he was really protective but I just couldn't make that connection that most couples do.

"Maybe but right now I'm burnt out and just want to crash in my bed and sleep. I have the interview in the morning and this walk helped me to get the last of my nerves out. I've done my research and got my outfit ready and luckily they arranged to squeeze me in at the last minute."

Before I went into a peaceful slumber I thought I had better check out my blog. I had a mix of content, fiction, life stories, reviews and a freelance advice column. "What would Ashana Do?" I was approached by a magazine who loved my blog and wondered if I would be interested in replacing their Agony Aunt who was retiring.

I jumped at the chance and had always wanted to do it, although it seemed overwhelming with a stack of emails but I was allowed to pick one or two each week and that was definitely more attainable.