Chapter Seven

“What?” Mary said, her voice raising an octave as her eyes grew very wide.

            “He was kind of my… wingman of sorts.” He said, offering no more explanation than that in order to keep Remus’ secret.

            “But how is that possible?” Mary said, gesturing wildly. “I know I saw him with Lily in the Astronomy tower that night!”

            “I think I can help clear things up.” A voice said in front of them. Both Mary and Sirius looked up surprised, expecting to see someone standing there. When they didn’t, they looked around and saw the Fat Lady, who was looking at them expectantly.

            “I was there too, if you remember.” She said, addressing Mary. She rolled her eyes and putting her hands one her hips. “But of course you don’t! No one ever notices a painting, even one as beautiful as me! Young people, so very conceited and…”

            “Um…” Mary said, trying to interrupt as politely as possible. She knew if she was rude in any way they could be standing there for hours. “You said you could, clear things up?”

            “impatient.” She finished, grumbling. Sirius mentally rolled his eyes, but still listened intently as the Fat Lady continued. “Scruffy here was right.”

            “Hey!” He began to say, but Mary put a hand up to silence him. But that didn’t stop him from letting out a grumble and pouting like a child.

            “The boy that left Ms. Evans here the night of the ball looked like Mr. Potter when you saw his face, it was…bubbling when I saw him.” She said, pausing to let that point sink in. She continued, emphasizing words as she spoke. “ As I watched his face seemed to just melt! He turned from that handsome Mr. Potter, into a simply awful looking boy! His hair was so greasy that it dripped down his face, and his nose so crooked and hooked that it nearly touched his face!HHe

“ She exclaimed, clutching her hand to her large chest as if it pained her so to have to look upon the face of someone so described.

            Sirius could tell she was wildly exaggerating, but her point came through loud and clear. And from one look at Mary, he knew they both had an idea of the greasy haired crooked nosed person she was referring to.

            “Thank you very much.” Mary said, diplomatically, her voice flat. She turned to him, and in a hushed, hurried voice said, “We have to tell James!” Sirius simply nodded, and started out down the hall, not running, but not walking toward the place where he knew James would be.

****

            James had gone to the Library to try and avoid everyone until break. Well, he was also hoping to see one person there, but unfortunately she was not. He was sitting at a table, alone, reading some book he couldn’t remember the name of, when Sirius and Mary burst into the room, panting and looking around desperately. Sirius spotted him first, and ran over, his eyes wide.

            James heart raced at the site of his friend’s frantic face. Had something happened? It was close enough to the full moon that he had a reason to be alarmed at Sirius’ expression. He was Mary rushing close behind, and Lily jumped to his thoughts. Had something happened to her?

            “Padfoot, what…?” He started, but Mary cut him off.

            “I owe you an apology.” She said her heavy breathing calming slowly as she clutched her side. “I shouldn’t have jumped to conclusions.”