Chapter Six

Two uploads in one day :)

******

Lily’s head was pounding the next morning when she finally awoke. She shook her head roughly, trying to rid her mind of the fuzziness that surrounded her vision. She tried to get up, but fell back on the bed as her head exploded in pain. When she was finally able to kick off the covers and sit up, she realized she was still wearing her dress from last night.

            Suddenly, a wave of memories hit her, most from the previous night. The dance itself, the excitement of meeting James, the awkwardness between them, and then… that kiss! Her heart fell to her stomach when she thought of that kiss. What had happened? She had hoped that everything would work out perfectly, just like in the fairy tales that her mother used to read to her before bed. She hoped that fireworks and sparks would go off in her mind, but there was none. In fact, there had been no warmth at all.

            But, what happened after that? She seemed to have a huge hole in her memory, which scared her. The last thing she remembered was breaking the kiss, and then she remembered, fuzzily, waking up in the deserted girls’ dormitory, and making her way up to her own room.

            She was so confused! What had happened? She sat on the edge of her bed and tried to remember what had happened, but nothing came to mind. Frustrated, she abandoned her efforts, and got up to change her clothes. She had just put on her most comforting sweater when there was a knock on her door.

            “Just a minute!” She said, her stomach fluttering. Only one person could be on the other side of that door, and it was the one person she really didn’t want to see. She glanced in the mirror, and quickly changed her hair back to its normal color and length. She took a deep breath and opened the door, revealing a very tired and solemn looking James Potter.

            “H.. hey James.” She said, squeakily. She was hoping she wouldn’t have to be alone with him just yet, at least until she figured out what happened last night.

            “Hello Evans.” He said, his voice and eyes cold as ice. They were like a knife through her heart, his icy stare, and the fact that he called her Evans. But, it also made her angry. What did he have to be angry about? He was the one who asked her to meet him. He was the one who expressed his feelings. And when she reciprocated, he ran off without a word.

            “We… have to talk.” James said. His eyes had returned to their normal color, although the warmth she loved was not there.

            “Yeah, I guess we do.” She said, trying and failing to match the ice of his voice.

            “May I come in?” He said, already taking a step forward.

            “No.” She said harshly, putting her hand on his chest and pushing him back. He looked at her, surprised, but didn’t try to force her. He wanted to talk? They would talk, but it would be on her terms, not his. She stepped forward, closing her door behind her.

            “Lily.” He started as if he wasn’t really sure what he was going to say. She crossed her arms defensively, a move that was not missed by James. “What…happened last night?”

            Lily’s mind went ballistic. What happened? She mentally yelled at him, not having the courage to actually yell at him. You told me you loved, I tried to reciprocate and YOU ran off! Did it even mean anything to you?! Was it some petty dare? Just to hurt me? Or can you just not remember!?  Out of all of those things she wanted to say, she only said. “Did it mean anything to you?”