Introduction

"You need to behave."

Napairap ako matapos marinig ang sinabi ni Kuya Gio. Akala yata, bata pa ako. Kuya crossed his legs, as well as his arms, as he stared at me.

"Aira, you're going to study in a university where you will meet different kinds of people, unlike in the academy you studied in your high school. You chose this university over other good universities out there. You need to be responsible in every action you do from now on."

I rested my chin on the table as I tapped my fingers on it, creating a sound. I stared at it while I listened to Kuya Gio's nagging.

"Aira, are you really sure about this?"

I looked at him and his forehead is already creased. Nagbuntonghininga ako bago sumandal sa upuan.

"I'm already enrolled, Kuya. Ano pa bang hindi sigurado? I passed the entrance exam weeks ago. My tuition is paid already."

He sighed. "I'm just worried about you. Hindi ka naman sanay sa ganoong klaseng university. You were homeschooled when you're elementary. You studied in an all-girls academy in your grade 7th to grade 12th. And now, you enrolled in a state university without our consent."

Napalunok ako bago nag-iwas ng tingin. I know it's wrong but I'm so done living my life like that. Para akong napag-iiwanan na ng mundo kapag kasama ang mga pinsan kong hindi naman pinalaki tulad ng ginawa sa akin.

Argh! Why does Lolo needs to raise my mom like that??? Pati tuloy sa akin, ginagawa na nila.

"You really need to behave. You know that I'm busy with my apprenticeship, Aira. I can't monitor you everyday."

Lihim akong napangiti nang dahil doon. Of course, I want that. Gusto ko na nga siyang ma-petition para naman maramdaman ko na yung kalayaan na nararanasan ng mga pinsan ko.

Simula kasi nang mawala si Mommy, Kuya and Daddy has always been more protective over me. Kung protective sila noong elementary ako na buhay pa si Mommy, mas naging protective sila noong nawala si Mommy since nagdadalaga na raw ako.

"Aira, are you listening?"

Nagbuntonghininga ako. "Oo nga."

"If you won't behave, I will transfer you to a different university with tight security."

Napairap na lang ulit ako bago pinanood siyang tumayo at umalis ng dining area.

***

The first day of class has already started and I can't help but to look at the people inside the school. As I walked on the pathway while holding the straps of my backpack, I watched how some students—boys and girls—were talking to each other regarding their schedule, their vacation, and how the process of shifting their courses went.

I smiled as I looked for the architecture building.

Boys and girls at my age can be friends without malice. I don't know why my grandparents and family can't understand that.