one

1|the doctor and the war photographer

Dorothy White slumped back in her chair, filing her bitten nails till they looked somewhat presentable. Her steel grey eyes wandering around the small office. Working for the military did have its perks including travelling but some days she just wanted to lay in a hot bath and read.

She lazily read through the files on her desk, reading over the blacked out mission briefing which barely informed her of what she would be doing. It was always the same.

Dorothy sighed and shrugged off her white medical coat before rising up from her chair. She wandered through the halls, trying to find her boss to receive anymore information.

"Mrs. Quinton." A man greeted her as she entered the spacious office.

"It's Dr. White." She narrowed her eyes at him, folding her arms across her chest as she watched the strange man carefully.

"She recently went through a divorce." Her boss explained to the man. "He probably didn't use a coaster."

"His dick found its way into another woman." Dorothy sneered at the two men. "Now." She slammed the file down on the desk. "What am I needed for?"

"We are going to an uncharted island and we need a doctor." The man explained to her before raising his hand for her to shake. "Bill Randa."

"Dr. Dorothy White." She shook his hand before gesturing for him to continue. "Why do you need a military doctor?"

"Because the military is helping." Her boss stated as if it was an obvious answer.

"When do we leave?" Dorothy sighed, steel eyes darting between the two men for answers.

~•~

"Oh, careful." Dorothy grabbed a woman's arm and pulled her out of the way of two fighting locals.

"Thanks." The woman glanced at her, confused to see another foreign woman in Thailand. "Are you...?" She trailed off and gestured to the giant vessel they were both walking towards.

"I'm the doctor." She confirmed with a gently smile. "Dr. Dorothy White."

"Mason Weaver." Mason introduced herself as they both walked to the large military ship. "War photographer."

"A war photographer? I wonder what they expect to be on this island." Dorothy wondered aloud. They stopped in front of a man who seemed to be signing people in.

"Mason Weaver. Photographer." She stated to the man, tightening her grip on her bag as he looked her over with confusion.

"Mason Weaver is a woman." He said in surprise casing Dorothy to chuckle to herself.

"Last time I checked." Mason said sarcastically as she began to walk away.

"Dr. Dorothy White."

"Thank you." He checked her in on his list of names.

"Can I help you?" Another man stopped her before she could board the ship.

"If I have to introduce myself one more time I might murder someone." Dorothy growled in annoyance. "Doesn't anyone see the medical bag?"

"You must be Dr. White. I was warned about your attitude." He chuckled at her angry expression. "Packard. I'm in charge."

"Nice to meet you." She walked past him, not wanting to spend anymore time talking about how she stole a career from a man or she should be home cooking for her husband. The usual topics of conversation she experienced on the daily.

"Apparently they thought I was a man and I'm in a room with other men." Mason complained to the doctor as she caught up.

"You can stay with me. My one condition for any mission is my own room." Dorothy offered, leading her to her personal room. "There's usually a bunk bed and a desk so you won't have to sleep on the floor."

"Thank you." They wandered into the small room, the layout being just as Dorothy had stated. They dropped off their bags and prepared for their first stop in chuckled. "Top or bottom? I can sleep either."

"Top. A bunk bed broke once when I was on the bottom bunk and I haven't been able to sleep there since." She laughed, throwing her bag on to the top bunk. "Three scars on my arms was enough for me to swear off the bottom bunk."

"I can imagine." Mason stripped off her outerwear as she sat on the bottom bunk, watching the doctor dump many files on to the desk. "What are they for?"

"Everyone on boards medical files." Dorothy answered her, tying her hair up with a pen so it was out her face. "I have more in my doctor's office on board but these are the ones for everyone going to the island. I'll need yours."

"Sure."