chapter 8

chapter 8 - revelio

--

Poli bit back a chuckle as James wacked Sirius on the back of the head, leading to another one of their playfights. She finally let out a small giggle when Madame Pince gave them a sharp, "Shh!" for all the noise they were creating.

Over the last few weeks, Poli and the boys had been getting closer. She sat with them at lunch most days -- every once in a while Lily and Marlene would even join them, but they would eventually walk away when James' relentless flirting became too annoying -- she would sometimes walk with them when they went to Hogsmeade, and she would even "study" with them (and by study, she means trying to read while the boys played around).

It was becoming more and more troubling when Remus wouldn't stick around. When they came to the library today, she was disappointed that he didn't show up. He seemed more distant than usual, and she couldn't figure out why. She hoped he hadn't somehow figured out that the boys told her his secret. Poli wanted to tell him eventually but didn't really know how. She didn't like keeping secrets from Remus. When she asked James, Sirius, and Peter what was wrong with him, they just shrugged and looked equally as troubled as she was.

"Read your books, dummies," Poli whispered with an amused grin on her face.

"Who you calling dummy, dummy?" Sirius grumbled, then pouted like a child when she chuckled in response. A few minutes of silence was all Sirius granted before his impatience kicked back into gear. He whispered something to Peter, to which Peter rolled his eyes two, and the two of them got up only to switch seats. Poli herself rolled her eyes when Sirius slid into the seat next to her that was once occupied by Peter. He leaned in with his neck on her arm that rested against the edge of the book, and his chin pressed into the textbook she was reading.

"Can I help you, Black?" a grin tugged at the corner of her lips as she pointedly looked at Sirius. He looked up to her with his infamous puppy-dog eyes.

"Oh don't mind me. I'm just very interested in... the properties of Mugwort..." Poli couldn't help but smile in amusement at that.

"Oh really?" Her eyes crinkled and followed him as he picked his head up, but stayed close to her. Poli tried to fight back the warmth that began to spread in her cheeks due to the proximity of their faces. Though her smile dropped, a pleasant grin still stayed on her lips.

"Yes. It's just so... fascinating." He whispered with a signature sly grin on his lips. When she noticed his eyes flicker to her lips, she turned away with an exhaling breath. She cleared her throat but tried not to let things become too awkward.

"Good. Then you should have no problem writing your paper on it. You know, the one that's due tomorrow?" She grinned and teasingly pushed his head away from her.

"You got me there." She heard him grumble under his breath. Before he could even pick up his pencil, however, a slam on the end of the table made them all jump. They looked with wide eyes at Remus who stood at the end of the table with an unreadable look in his eyes.

"Hey, Remus. Where've you been-" James started to ask.

"What have you been keeping from me?" Remus demanded in a low tone. 

"What do you mean-" Sirius tried to play off his question but was cut off by Remus once again.

"Don't lie to me!" Remus yelled. A familiar "Shh!" made them all glance over to Madame Pince who looked like she was going to blow a fuse.

"Sorry." Poli mouthed to her, before looking back at Remus with worry all over her face. "Remus, I-" She stopped herself when he glanced at her with hurt, and what looked like a solemn fear, in his eyes. Remus looked at the boys, avoiding Poli's gaze, then spun on his heel and headed towards the doors. They sat there for a moment in shock, before gathering their things clumsily and going after him.

As soon as they were out of the doors of the library, they called his name from down the hall, but he didn't stop his quick strides towards the courtyard. They all had to jog to try and catch up. As soon as they got through the doors to the courtyard, Remus finally stopped and turned towards them. No one was outside, as it was quite cold outside with light snow on the ground. 

"Remus, please." Poli started

"Remus-" 

"You told her didn't you." Remus didn't yell again. He sounded more hurt than angry like he was before. None of them said anything. The boys sat in silence, glancing at each other and trying to decide what to say. 

"Yes," Poli answered for them. "They told me." Remus looked at her, probably expecting her to launch insults at him or run away in fear, but she just walked softly towards him and laid a hand on his shoulder. "And it doesn't change anything."

"We're sorry we didn't tell you," Peter said with a quiet voice, making them all nod in agreement.

"We just didn't know how you would react to it." James offered

"To be fair, Poli didn't exactly give us a choice," Sirius said with a hesitant grin on his face. That made Poli turn to him to glare. Sirius let out a small laugh but raised his hands in defense, "What? It's true." Poli shook her head, fighting the amused smile that tried to come up. She turned back to Remus, trying to gauge his reaction.

"So, you're not..." Remus had trouble keeping eye contact with her.

"Nope." She said with a comforting smile. There was another moment of silence. "At least now you don't have to keep asking for my notes." Remus let himself smile softly at that.

"Thanks." He said quietly, this time actually looking at her. She just nodded, keeping eye contact. They were broken out of their stare by Sirius wiggling between them and wrapping an arm around each of their shoulders.

"Would you look at that? Friends again!" Poli and Remus laughed at that with an eye roll from Remus. 

"Now we actually need to study," Poli said seriously as they all began walking towards the school again after some remarks from James and Peter about how cold it was outside and a playful argument broke out amongst James and Sirius. James and Sirius groaned while Remus and Peter both smiled in amusement. "You can write about how fascinating mugwort is," Poli said teasingly to Sirius.

"You know what's more entertaining than mugwort, though?" He asked in response, with a mischievous look in his dark eyes.

"What?"

"Tickling you!" Poli leaped into a sprint as he said that, Sirius not very far behind her. She didn't even get the chance to make it very far before Sirius tackled her into a bank of snow. She let out a small squeal and laughed hysterically while Sirius tickled her. Her face was as red as a tomato, but Sirius didn't stop his attack.

James and Peter laughed at the two, but Remus just watched with furrowed brows. That familiar uncomfortable feeling once again spread through his veins. His anger and hurt that had been washed away by Poli just a few minutes before, returned.

--

hello! sorry for being gone so long especially when i said i would update soon :/

my mental health is definitely not where it should be, but i'm going to try and write more whenever i can because i actually love putting out these stories, especially since so many of you like it :)

thank you for reading and commenting and all that, even though this is kind of a shitty chapter. i hope you enjoy it and stay tuned for new chapters!