chapter 4

chapter 4 - apologies

Poli hadn't spoken to Sirius since his last prank. She hadn't even looked at him for that matter. She kept to herself, and her friends. She focused on her grades and on how much time she had until she would get to see her family again. She ignored the stares and whispers of those around her, especially those glances from a certain group of boys.

Truth be told, she wasn't even mad at Sirius anymore. She was at first, she spent two days glaring at him when he looked her way, but now she just didn't know how to interact with him. Part of her wanted to apologize for her outburst over his silly prank, part of her wanted to confront him, but she didn't really have anything to confront him about so the thought of apologizing to Sirius Black, the boy who had pestered her since her first year, the player, the "bad boy", made her want to claw her eyes out and rip out her tongue, but she knew she had to sooner or later.

It was after classes and some Gryffindors littered the common room. Some by the window ledges some by the long, wooden tables, some by the fireplace. Poli, Lily, and Marlene were sitting by the ledges of the windows as Poli tried to think of the best way to apologize.

"I just don't want to seem like I want him to forgive me, because I couldn't care less. I just want to get in, apologize, and get out."

"Well, isn't the whole point of apologizing to someone to get their forgiveness-"

"Marlene, I really don't need your logic right now." Lily rolled her eyes.

"Just ask to talk to him alone apologize and leave, politely." She stressed the word politely which in turn made Poli throw a mock offended scowl her way.

"Are you insinuating that I'm not polite?"

"Not to Sirius Black, you're not." Poli couldn't argue with her on that one, so she simply stood up and began walking over to the four boys. She got maybe four feet until she turned back around.

"Nope, never mind." Lily wasn't very sympathetic, for she grabbed Poli by her shoulders, turned her back around, and pushed her harshly in their direction so that she was only left a few feet to walk in her own. She looked back and glared viciously at the red-head who only smiled innocently in return. Poli took a deep breath and kept her eyes set on the Black boy.

His friends noticed her before he did. Remus saw a underlying nervousness in her eyes but that did not put a falter in her step or in her gaze on Sirius. Remus nudged Peter, who nudged James, who in turn nudged Sirius. Soon all the marauders were looking at the girl who had, just a few weeks earlier, nearly killed Sirius in her rage.

"Sirius." She gave a curt nod to the boy and gave a tight lipped turn to the rest of the three boys. Sirius was at a loss for words so Poli took that as her cue to continue on. "Can I talk to you for a moment?"

"Depends," Sirius' wit was quick and though there was a small glint of fear in his eyes, he stared her down as she did the same. She raised an eyebrow, gesturing for him to continue. "Depends on whether or not your going to try to kill me." Her comeback was just as quick.

"Depends on whether or not your going to be a prick." There was a beat of silence before he gave in and stood, her leading him a few feet away from the group, just out of earshot for most of them.

From the boy's perspective, they could only see - at first - Sirius' millisecond of shock, before it quickly formed into his signature smirk. When he asked her a question, they could only guess she gave him a look because he grinned and put up his hands in a mock surrender, then shrugged and put his hands into his pockets. After a pause, she answered and his grin grew even more if that were possible, then they parted ways and Sirius sauntered back to his seat whereas Poli made her way up the steps of Gryffindor tower to her dormitory with her roommates and best friends behind her.

From Poli's perspective, after getting him to a spot in the room that would be out of earshot from nearly everyone, she leapt straight to the point.

"I'm sorry for going off on you before. It was a funny prank but I freaked out more than I should've and I'm sorry... for that..." a millisecond passed before Sirius' shocked face turned into that of his infamous smirk.

"Well, in that case princess," she glared at him. "I forgive you." She nearly walked away but when his next question landed in front of her, she questioned whether or not she could take back her apology. "But, to really show your sincerity, how about a date to Hogsmead?" She not only glared at him but clenched her fists making him chuckle and throw up his hands in mock surrender. "I'm just saying, you're the one that nearly killed me." He shrugged and slid his hands into his pockets.

Poli cursed herself because he was right. She did owe him, but she didn't like it. At all. She sighed after a pause.

"Fine, sure, alright." She mumbled.

"See you then." He said as they began parting ways. Poli didn't have to look at him to know that his smirk had grew to a grin.

"Whatever."

And when Sirius told his three best friends what had happened, that was the first time that Remus had felt a certain emotion. An emotion that he wasn't all that fond of.

Jealousy.