Chapter One

Harry's P.O.V.

I used to be happy. I used to be different. I used to love life and enjoy waking up in the morning. I used to know what it meant to have someone special. I used to know how to smile. 

But things are different, things have changed. I can't even return to that school anymore. It makes me shudder just at the thought of that retched place. I can never go back there, I can never even face those people again. The people who harassed me and left me and broke me.

"Come on, Harry." My mum prodded, nudging my shoulder. I turned and looked at her, my face long and solemn. "Be happy. It's your first day. It's a fresh start. So put on a happy face, and be prepared to attack the world." My mum said. My expression didn't change. She softened. "Please, Harry. We moved here for you. Please at least try." She begged. I just nodded slowly. She pulled up to the front of the school, Colaiste Mhuire, and shut off the engine. I sighed deeply. "Harry you have to try. That's all I'm asking." She pleaded. I nodded again.

"I will, Mum." I told her. She patted my shoulder and then leaned over to affectionately kiss my cheek. I frowned at her and scrubbed my cheek with my hand. She just smiled. "Bye." I said, gathering my bag and opening the door.

"I love you, Harry! Good luck!" She called to me. I nodded and then shut the door to the car and watched her drive away. I turned and faced the school, ready for the new start. 

I headed towards the front office and got my schedule. I pushed past some classmates and almost dropped my books at least four times. It was the first day back from their Spring Holiday and my first day here. Colaiste Mhuire was an all-boys school, but it had a female counterpart, in which the lunch break was spent together as a group. However all classes were strictly the same gender.

My first class was English, and I was ready for it. I had always been good in English class, I understood the parts of sentences as well I could write well and read well. English and Maths classes were both my best subjects. My teacher, a short but thin woman, Ms. Callaghan, directed me to the back of the room at an empty two-seated desk. I sat in the right chair, hoping that I didn't have to sit next to anyone else. 

"Hey, Ms. C!" An Irish voice chimed in. I looked up and saw a cheerful boy with blonde hair with brown undergrowth, obviously hinting that it had been dyed. The teacher rolled her eyes.

"Hello, Mr. Horan. How was your holiday?" She asked. The boy remained at her desk for the conversation. 

"Very well, the beach suits me well." He said proudly. He turned to look at some of the other students milling into the room and I picked up on his sunburned cheeks. 

"I suggest you get back to your desk, Mr. Horan. Before the bell rings." Ms. Callaghan told him. The boy just laughed happily and turned. He high-fived a few students and greeted a few here and there. He must be popular I thought to myself. Then he slowly made his way towards the back, all the way to me. 

"Hi!" He said happily. "Guess we're desk mates this year!" He said. I nodded and gave him a small smile. He put his books down on the corner of his side of the desk and sat down. "I'm Niall Horan, by the way." He said, offering me a handshake. I gingerly shook it.

"Harry Styles." I mumbled. The boy, Niall, just smiled and tapped his fingers on the desk annoyingly. 

"Oh yeah, you might as well know that since we're sitting next to each other, we're partners now." He told me. I gulped.

Partners?

That word brings back so many uncomfortable memories. So many painful past mistakes and so many horrifying feelings. I shook my head.