Chapter Two

For the next few weeks, the Paradis team had been rather successful during games. Yes, they had lost a few, but overall they looked like they finally had a chance of getting into the championships. It was like a completely new team. They actually went out to celebrate wins, they got a cheerleading squad, and more people began turning up at the games. Including Jean Kirstein, who'd sometimes drag his own friends along to watch too.

The way it impacted Floch to have someone there cheering him on was massive. Not only did he feel he played better during games, it also lifted his spirits up outside the match too. He felt as though he had a real friend, who was supportive and interested in him. He had never really felt that before.

His favourite part of football was when, apart from scoring winning goals, it was halftime. He'd always run to the stands, where Jean would be waiting with a bottle of water. He'd throw it down to the sweaty player, lean over the stand and begin talking about how well Floch'd done. After a few times Floch stopped correcting him whenever he got terminology wrong, instead he'd laugh and just nod.

It felt nice being able to impress someone, Floch believed he was finally doing something with a purpose. Jean didn't do sports, but if the male did then Floch knew he'd be at each and every one of his games too. They started hanging out more, like when Floch would go round to Jean's place and play video games.

"Stop killing me!" Jean whined, reaching his foot over to the other beanbag and kicking the person on it.

They only laughed. "It was an accident! My finger slipped." The other teen had responded with a sickly innocent tone, but the grin on his face said otherwise.

"Yeah yeah," Jean muttered sarcastically, a hint of a smile on his face anyway. "The pizza will be ready soon. And before you start lecturing me-" He paused, shooting a suspicious glare at Floch. He already had his mouth open to argue back. "It's fine to have a treat, I won't tell coach Zöe."

That seemed to be all the coercing Floch needed. He smiled at the blond and shook his head in disapproval, but nonetheless got up. They headed to the kitchen, where Jean got the dish from the oven and started cutting it up.

"So, game this Friday?" He queried as he cut the pepperoni pizza into triangles. "How you feeling about it?" This attitude wasn't fake. Jean had grown to liking the sport a bit more, or rather grown to like watching Floch play it. He no longer had to pretend to be interested to satisfy the teen, Jean liked hearing him begin to ramble with a passionate smile on his face.

As expected, a large smile did appear on Floch's face. "I'm feeling great!" He confirmed happily as Jean sat across from him. The table was messy from little sticky notes covered across them, but there was enough room for the plates. "This one's an important game, it could take us to the semi-finals. If we win this, we've got a good chance of reaching them." His goals had definitely changed, from simply being in the tournament to getting to as close as the finals as possible.

"It's a little nerve-wracking. I know Sina High are really good." The footballer mumbled, a little more quietly as if he didn't want his doubt to be heard. He fidgeted with one of the sticky notes, waiting for the pizza to cook. It read, 'Keep your chin up. You are loved xo'. A smile appeared at his lips again at the cute notes that Jean's family always wrote for each other. It was more or less his mother that wrote them all, but he did notice some with Jean's squiggly hand writing. He didn't point them out, but he did read them whenever Jean looked away.

"Don't be worried," Jean assured, picking up a slice and taking a bite. Much to Floch's disgust, as it was probably still piping hot. "It'll be fine as long as you try your best. And even if you don't win, still fun right?" He asked with a shrug.

The other nodded, knowing he shouldn't get himself wound up about it. His hands continued to flick at the paper notes, which caught Jean's attention. "They're stupid, I know." The blond had muttered, his cheeks going red as he looked over the cringe messages stuck to the table.

Floch disagreed. "Nah, they're nice." He muttered, his eyes scanning the inspiring quotes and cute messages. "It's cool your family can say stuff like this." He added quietly, implying that his family weren't all that supportive. They weren't.

A sad smile appeared on Jean's face, nodding in agreement. A small bit of realisation that he probably took little things like this for granted. He pushed the plate across to Floch, gesturing that he take a piece. "You'll do great, y'know? Whether your team wins or not." He encouraged, fully believing that Floch would do amazing at the next game.

And he did.

Their team had won by two goals, one which was scored by Floch. The crowd had went wild, along with the cheerleaders who had rushed over to celebrate with the players. He recognised a short blond one, her name was Historia. She was part of the friend group Floch hung out with.

The cheerleader had swung an arm around Floch, shouting something about an 'amazing goal' over the chanting and cheering. The attention didn't last long as one of the other girls, a tall brunette, pulled her away and scowled at the slightly blushing Floch.

The red-head was grinning anyway, almost surprised at how well they'd played. Ecstasy flooded his body, watching as the coach praised all the players one by one. She seemed more excited than most of them. She had put hard work and effort into the team, just as much as any other player did.

Then he saw Jean. Even though he felt like he couldn't do anymore running he still sprinted towards him. He collided with the other, his arms wrapped tightly around his shoulders. "Did you see that?!" He quizzed happily, pulling away after mere seconds of the embrace. His hands still gripped the teen's shoulders though, shaking him slightly. Jean had a surprised look on his face from the sudden hug, but it quickly moulded into a proud one.

"I saw every second." He answered with a smile, reaching up and ruffled the other's hair. "You were amazing." Jean added, his cheeks turning almost as red as the other's. Someone might of heard and just thought of it as a compliment; but it had meant the world to Floch.

"Thanks, Jean." Floch had responded sincerely, appreciating the fact that Jean had came to his games and watched. That Jean had been a friend in a time where he really needed one.

The footballer had went home with a smile on his face then, finally being able to fall asleep with fond memories of the past weeks.