Chapter 13

It wasn't often that Floyd woke up before him, but it wasn't unheard of. What was strange was the other would normally let him sleep in in that case, but this time he awoke to a barrage of exaggerated kisses on his cheek. Riddle let out a tired groan, though he rubbed at his eyes before turning over to face the jikininki sitting on the edge of the bed.

The older boy's face was serious despite the playful gesture. "I have to go do some things today. Okay, Goldfishie?"

The redhead nodded. "Do you want me to go with you?"

Floyd shook his head, a hand moving to brush some hair from the smaller boy's face. "You can stay and rest."

"Are you sure?" Blue eyes glanced towards the window, taking in the small amount of light brightening up the small clearing surrounding their home. It was no wonder he was so tired—how early had Floyd woken up? "I really don't mind."

There'd been a strange shift in attitude in the past week or so since Riddle had killed Trey. Half the time he was distant—the other half, maybe a bit more affectionate than normal, even. As Floyd leaned down to kiss Riddle's forehead, he realized today was going to be the latter of the two. "Get some sleep, okay?" Riddle nodded against his pillow. A silence hung between them for a moment as mismatched eyes traced the soft lines of his face. Finally, the ghoul spoke once more, his voice hardly a whisper. "Riddle...?"

He had to admit, it felt strange to hear Floyd call him by his name. He remembered how growing up there were times it had been hard to recall it. He remembered being a terrified little boy as Floyd snapped at him. I don't want to know your name. It felt so odd that such an awful day would lead to a future where Floyd's fingers curled into his in the early morning hours. A future where Riddle felt like he'd found a home .

Floyd's lips curled into a smile as he gave Riddle's hand a squeeze. "I love you, don't forget that, alright~?" It's true that there hadn't been any doubt in his mind that Floyd did love him, but hearing him say it for the first time sent the butterflies in his stomach fluttering. The jikininki leaned down, giving the redhead a gentle kiss before he even had the chance to return the sentiment.

As soon as he broke the kiss, Floyd's smile grew into his normal, playful grin—something the younger boy felt he hadn't seen in a long time. "Get some sleep, I just wanted to say that." Riddle chuckled slightly, his fingers remaining intertwined with Floyd's until he'd walked far enough away that they were forced to let go of each other.

Blue eyes watched until the ghoul paused for a moment in the doorway. Odd-eyes stared back at him, nails tapping gently on the doorframe as something seemed to tug at his mind. "Be careful, alright?" Riddle offered him.

Floyd nodded and then disappeared into the hallway.

The sun was fully up by the time he woke up again. Immediately, echoes of Floyd's confession rang in his ears, causing him to try to force back a smile. When he'd said it before, he hadn't known if it was true. He'd just wanted control . To feel like something mattered. That they mattered. He'd killed someone so that they could be together and saying it had felt like the only thing that would have kept Floyd beside him.