Two

Ruby had to wait a few minutes for the Uber she had ordered to get to her pickup destination. She tried not to focus on the inconspicuous looks that were thrown her way, the most noticeable from the saloon opposite where she was standing. They were just opening for the day, one of the three girls in the saloon was hanging out towels on the rack she had brought outside to the front of the shop. Another was sweeping the floor, while the last stood with her hands akimbo, not attempting to hide the looks she was throwing Ruby. This wasn't the first time Ruby had to wait for a cab in front of Boye's compound. It was an open street, where everyone knew everyone. And it was no secret that she was Boye's 'friend'. Sometimes it was pitiful looks, she had learned to tell that they came when Boye had a girl over the previous day. Sometimes it was malicious looks. Like the time after Boye had started dating Ozioma, the girl that made it a mission to show her superior position in Boye's life. She had gone around announcing her relationship with Boye, even to the extent of expecting an engagement ring.

This would be the last time, Ruby thought to herself. She checked how far away the Uber was and continued to go through her WhatsApp messages.

A champagne-colored car pulled to a stop in front of the building. Ruby matched the plate number to the one in her phone before she got in. She briefly exchanged greetings with the driver, a man probably in his late forties. She plugged in her earphones to prevent any conversation from ensuing. The car started slowly out of the neighborhood. Ruby sighed with relief as soon as he turned into another street, the familiar sight of the area that she had spent more than three years of her life faded away to the back of her mind.

She and Boye's friendship had started when she was in the university. It hadn't always been just the two of them. They had been three friends, three very tight friends. Boye, Ruby, and Rose. When asked, she could barely remember how they became close. Their friendship continued until after they had all graduated and went for their NYSC. It was during that one year that their friendship changed. Boye and Rose suddenly announced that they had been seeing each other behind her back. It was as much a shock as it was a disappointment. She had also been harboring feelings for him and intended to profess them when they returned to Lagos. She was hurt as well, especially when she found out that the relationship had been going on for quite a while and they didn't deem it fit to tell her. Despite this, she hid the feelings she had for Boye and blessed the couple. This also caused a strain in the relationship between the three. Ruby slowly withdrew from the trio.

After their service, they returned to Lagos, going in different directions. Rose had gotten a job in an accounting firm. Ruby started working as an accountant in a business firm. For Boye, he also got a job but lost it a few months later. In the year they all settled in their respective jobs, Rose and Boye slowly grew apart. Rose's schedule got busy as she turned all her attention on her work in an attempt to get a salary increase and swift promotion. It was hard for her to do that while still in a relationship with Boye. Boye was quite the demanding boyfriend. It didn't take long for the quarrels to start and soon they broke up.

If Ruby's relationship with Rose and Boye became stale when they started dating, she grew much closer to Rose after the break-up. Due to how the relationship with Boye ended, Ruby had to separately maintain her friendship with the two of them. It became a triangular friendship.

Ruby started sleeping with Boye three years after settling in Lagos, about a year and some months after Boye and Rose broke up. Of course, Rose was the only one that knew of the awkward friendship between her and Boye.

"That guy is worse than a leech. I wouldn't want you dating him, not with where you are now," Rose had advised that day. It was a Sunday, one of the few days that their busy schedules would let them spend time together. Ruby just broke the news of sleeping with Boye.

"He doesn't want my money or anything. It's just the sex." The words ended in a shrill voice.

"That's the thing. You like him, but he is just using you for sex. If he gets an official girlfriend, what will you do?"

Ruby didn't consider the implication of her next words. "I can handle it. It's not like we must be in a relationship to validate anything. Moreover, I think it will make him develop feelings for me."

It was the same hope that had kept her running from her home in Rubyland to where he stayed in Alaba for three years. The same hope that saw different girls walk in and out of Boye's life, believing that one day he would wake up and find a girlfriend in her. No one knew her sexually as Boye did. And she knew him too. The things they did together, Boye had even confessed that no other girl could satisfy him the way she did. And in the end, what did it amount to? It was just her wishful thinking.

She shook her head, willing the thoughts of Boye away. She searched through her contacts on WhatsApp and stopped on Rose's name.

We broke up, she typed first and then deleted it. Were they ever together? She mocked her foolishness.

The thing with Boye is over, she typed and sent it. She clutched the phone tightly in her hand, watching the message as it transitioned from a single tick, to double ticks and turned a bright blue.

Honey

That idiot

Are you okay?

Where are you?

The one-lined messages were sent almost simultaneously. If Ruby didn't know Rose well, she would have assumed that the messages had been waiting in her phone, to be copied, pasted, and sent.

Her phone rang as she made to type out a reply.

"Babes," Rose's usually cool voice was high-pitched. "Are you okay? Do you need me to come to pick you? Where are you?"

Ruby couldn't help chuckling at Rose's tone. "I'm okay. I'm fine. Just a little hurt, but it will soon pass."

"Oh, God! That idiot, let me not catch him. And I'm already on my way to the office. Are you going to be okay? I know how much you cared for him."

"I don't know." Ruby sighed. She leaned back and looked out of the car. The traffic wasn't too heavy today. She sent a prayer of thanksgiving to God. She didn't want to be late to work with what had happened. "I'm still a little surprised. When I told him what was on my mind, I had expected a reply, an assurance, or something. But he just kept quiet. Even the look on his face..." She pressed her eyes shut at the memory.

"You know what eh, just try to get through work today. When you come back, I will prepare something for you. Or do you want to go out?"

Ruby smiled, comparing her less-packed schedule to that of Rose. "No, no, no. It's okay. You don't need to do anything. I know how work has been for you this week."

"You have come again. Don't worry. I just got to the office now. I will check on you later, okay? Just try to put him at the back of your mind. He doesn't deserve any more of your time, even in your head."

"Yes ma," Ruby said robotically, momentarily forgetting about Boye.

Rose laughed. "See you later then," she said and ended the call.

Ruby still had a smile even after the call ended. She checked the time and sighed again when she realized that she would be a few minutes late.

**********************

Don't forget to vote and comment.