Thirteen

Babe, how are you feeling? Ruby came out of her room to meet Rose in the living room, spooning ice-cream into her mouth and watching a movie.

Wow, you look so good. Rose sat up and kept the bowl of ice-cream on the table in front of her. I'm okay. Give me three days and I assure you, I will totally forget everything about the name Blossom.

You say it like it's easy. Ruby walked towards her and picked up the bowl of ice-cream. She took some.

Forgetting him is not easy, thinking about it all the time is also not easy. Let me choose the better of two evils. Going through a breakup is not something you can use motivational sayings to brush over.

Ruby smiled guiltily, thinking of all the inspirational messages and sayings she'd been sending to Rose since the previous night.

Rose continued, I just want to get the whole thing done and over with. Now, I can cry how I want and curse him all I want, but when it's done, I move on with my life.

Ruby looked at her friend in admiration. So straightforward.

People like to make things complicated for themselves. She gestured for the ice-cream bowl. Ruby returned it to her. So where are you going? This one you even bought a new gown, any new boo I don't know about?

Ruby sat on the handle of the couch. She reached for the remote control of the TV and reduced the volume. It's the guy I met through social media. We're finally meeting in real life.

That was fast. Are you sure he is not something else? With the rate of online scams, you have to be very careful.

We are meeting in a very public place, near Ikeja City Mall. I checked out the place, it's a restaurant.

Even though it is safe, you don't know what might be waiting for you. Send me the address of the place in case of necessity.

Hah? Ruby eyed Rose. Is that necessary? I'm sure it's very safe. I've been on-

I said 'in case of necessity' o. The way things are now, you can never be too sure or too safe. Just send me the address. I'm not going to ruin your date. At least if something happens, we know where to start from.

Jesus! Why are you taking it so seriously like that? God forbid something happens to me. But as she was saying it, she brought out her phone to send the address to her.

You still have me on your quick dial, right? If you start getting any vibes, just know when to remove your shoes and run. Rose continued.

Yes, mummy, Ruby's reply was sarcastic. Did anything happen? Abi it's because of your breakup?

Rose gave her a sharp look. She licked her spoon and tossed it into a now-empty bowl. One of the security men at work had to take leave yesterday to go and look for his younger sister, a university student. They said she has been missing for five days now. We were talking about it during break and you'd be surprised at the things my coworkers were saying. My dear, it is better to be safe than sorry. I'm just taking cautions. But you have to be careful.

Hmm, Ruby had always seen a lot of messages concerning missing people, though she'd always assumed that it was one of those broadcast messages that were designed to put fear into peoples mind. I'll be careful.

Rose picked up her phone and looked at the message Ruby sent. Are you coming back this night?

Definitely. With this thing that you told me, I don't think I can afford to spend the night elsewhere. Ruby's phone buzzed. My Uber is here.

Okay. Enjoy yourself then, Rose wiggled her fingers in a wave.

Ruby stood up and adjusted her clothes. You too. Make sure you don't stay up too late or cry too much.

I can't promise any of that. She smiled playfully. See you.

Ruby shook her head and went out of the house. An ash car was waiting in front of the gate. She confirmed the driver's name and got into it. Hopefully, the traffic wouldn't be too heavy, she thought as she sent a message to Fred informing him that she was on her way. He lived in Ikeja, so it wouldn't be difficult for him to get to their rendezvous.

***

It was probably one of the best restaurants she'd been to. Soft strains of jazz wafted through the restaurant, with muted lights that added a sense of romanticism to the place. Round tables were designed to seat two people, with love-shaped candle stands in the middle of the table. The tables that were occupied had the candles lit up with a reddish hue. The sound of cutleries was muted, each couple caught up in their world. It was a Friday night and very few tables were empty. Ruby was certain that it would soon be filled up. The waitress that had met her at the reception desk now led her to a table in the far corner of the restaurant. She only had to call Fred's name as he had made the reservation in his name.

She was the first to arrive. Her heart was weighed down in slight disappointment as she was directed to the table. She sat down and when the waitress asked if she would like anything, she looked at the menu and ordered one of the cheapest wines she saw. Though by her definition, it was not cheap at all.

The wine arrived quickly and soon, she was taking small sips from the glass. The table Fred picked was close to the window, overlooking some of the city sights. From where she sat, she could see the roads, lighted up by cars and road lamps, colored lights where bars were. It was beautiful.

She sat sipping from her glass and looking, both out of the window and at the entrance. Time and again, she would look at her phone to check for the time.

Fifteen minutes passed.

Thirty minutes.

Thirty-five minutes.

Ruby's neck had a crick in it from every time she had to look back to know if the person arriving was him. At some point, she switched positions, backing the window so she would have her eyes on the entrance at all times. She'd sent him multiple messages and tried calling him. There was no reply and her call wasn't picked. Three times, a waitress had come to ask her if she was ready to order. She was almost halfway through the bottle of wine, as her little sips were turning into gulps. She was also beginning to feel slightly dizzy.

Forty-five minutes.

The waitress was there again. She ordered a simple plate of fried rice. Her stomach couldn't handle the hunger and she was beginning to feel faint.

Fifty-five minutes.

She finished the first serving of rice and tried calling again. The phone this time was switched off. She gestured to the waitress, ordered another serving of fried rice, this time with salad and a side of peppered beef.

One hour.

Still no sign of her online lover. His phone was still switched off.

One hour, fifteen minutes.

She forced herself to finish the meal she had ordered.

One hour, twenty-five minutes.

She was done eating. The waitress was standing beside her with a POS. She searched for her ATM in her purse and handed it over.

The waitress swiped the card with efficiency. A ding from her phone let her know that money had been deducted. She didn't check. Only picked up her purse, along with the unfinished bottle of wine, which the waitress had been kind enough to package for her, and went out of the restaurant.

She waited ten long minutes before her Uber arrived. Ten minutes during which she kept peering into the face of every man that walked into or from the restaurant. Her Uber arrived. She got into it and it drove away.

She didn't know what to feel.