Chapter 19

The bright sun made its way through the blinds. Perks of living in LA. But what made me upset was I woke up to an empty bed. And its only nine in the morning. Kian never wakes up this early. I got out of bed and decided to walk around. Lia was still asleep in Jc's bed but Jc wasn't there.

I then went downstairs where I heard noises which were coming from the backyard. The back door was slightly opened and I saw lines of smoke. What are these idiots doing?

I decided I would sneak up on them and scare them so I tiptoed outside to see the guys sitting on the grass with there back faced towards me," dude, don't make it smell," Jc says. Kian huffs before moving his hand to where I could see what he was holding.

I let out a gasp which was kind of loud since both of them turned around," Autumn, I-"

I shook my head before running inside. I grabbed my bag from the countertop and made my way outside. I cursed myself for not driving but I knew my way around. But it wasn't long before Kian caught up to me," wow, Im glad you still have the energy to run," I say.

He rolls his eyes, letting it go," you shouldn't be running either Autumn. Look, I know what Im doing, okay? You don't have to-"

"Do you want to end up in the fucking hospital?" I yell. "Because thats where you're going to be if you continue with that. Theres like 7,000 different chemicals in that one stupid cigarette. I just cannot believe someone like you is doing something so stupid."

"Chill out, mom. This is my life and I know whats ahead," he says.

"Well Im not going to be in that picture, thats for sure," I say before leaving him. But again, Kian doesn't leave without a fight.

"I don't understand why you're mad at me. You can't always tell me what to do," he protests. I stop dead in my tracks and turn to face him.

I sigh," I'm not mad at you Kian. Im just... Disappointed. But knowing you, you won't care what I say about this. Just continue doing whatever but don't get that anywhere near me."

This time, he's the one that sighs as I walk away... Again. Just when I thought things were going good, they don't. But thats reality for you.

-

Since I had nothing to do, no school, no job, I decided I would start helping out at the Children's Hospital again. I mean, maybe I want to become a nurse one day because helping these children out brings me joy.

"Autumn, have you finished room 215?" Jodie asks. Shes one of the head nurses at this hospital but she loves me so I can almost get away with anything.

"Yeah. Anything else I can do for you today?" I ask.

She flips through her clipboard," yes, actually. Theres a new guy... Langston. He's fifteen and got submitted here this morning. He's kind of nervous about this whole thing so could you-"

"Talk to him?" I cut in. "Of course," I say before walking into the room. There were two hospital beds. The one that was towards the door was occupied by a cute little girl playing with her ponies. The one next to her was whom I was assuming the new guy.

"Hi," I smile. "Im Nurse Jenkins but you could just call me Autumn."

"Oh, hi," he says, looking around. "My names Langston."

I nod," so," I say, sitting down. "You worried?"

He nods," yeah, Ive never been in a hospital before and now that Im sick, Im spending quite some time here, aren't I?"

"I don't know yet," I answer. "But I do know that the doctors are going to do whatever it takes to help you become healthy again. Trust me, you'll be fine here. I grew up here."