Welcome to Manchester

The smoke from the factories and the pouring rain made it hard to see the street names and numbers on the brick houses. A thunder roared further away, and a rat ran over the brick road. Lights were on at the local pub at the end of the street and inside was laughter and cheering. I glanced in through the windows and saw the joyful mood. I hid in a doorway not so far away and tried to dry away the water from my face. I peered through the rain and saw the number on the door. 273. Then 279 should be just around here. I shook to try and get rid of the water in my clothes before running further up the street. I found 279 and started knocking on it as I hid from the rain. No answer so I knocked again a bit harder. Now I could hear footstep. I tried to make myself look presentable. A man with white hair and a tweed jacket opened and looked down on me as I tried to smile through the water running down my face.

"Miss Blyth? Come on in, you can't stand out in the rain all night." He said and moved for me to go inside. I took off the hat I had been wearing and shook off the water before walking in beside him.

"I had just got your room ready. It's on the top floor. As it is quite late, I suppose you don't need any dinner, but the kettle is in the kitchen for you. Here is your key and I'll come to collect the rent at the end of each month. Good night miss Blyth." He said and handed me a key before giving me a nod and walking towards a door at the other end of the corridor.

I could see the pub from my window. The street was empty with no sign of life, but the pub was bursting with lights and sounds. I noticed a group of men sitting in what looked like a secluded area looking at a large piece of paper laid out on the table. They seemed to have no interest in the actions and laughter taking place in the other part of the pub. A man pulled out a cigarette and lit it before looking out the window in my direction. Even though I knew he wouldn't see me, I hide behind the curtain.

Was this really a good idea? Maybe I should have stayed in London after all.

Laughter and shouting were heard from the street just outside the window as I woke up. Children ran across the street while chasing each other. I got dressed and made myself some tea before leaving the house.

Macmillan's Tailor shop was just a few streets away and I looked down on the ripped-out part of the magazine where his address was written. I looked up at the green sign over the door and looked around at the empty streets. I saw two small children running towards an alley further away. The sun was up and I carefully pushed the door to the shop open. The bell over the door chimed as I stepped inside.

"Be there in a second." A male voice said, and I slowly took off my hat and fixed my hair to look presentable.

A man dressed in a black suit and grey beard walked up from behind the counter. He looked surprised at me through the small circular spectacles he had resting on his nose. He took the spectacles away and put his hands on the counter to rest his body.

"Can I help you miss?"

I walked up to him and smiled as I put down the piece of the magazine on the counter before him.

"I'm here for the job." I said and looked at the man who looked at the piece of paper and then at me. He scratched his head.

"I'm sorry miss, but it's no longer available." He said and looked at me as if he was waiting for how I would response. I looked around at the shop.

"I doubt that, based on the list of orders hanging behind you, and the dust in the shop windows." I looked at him and he looked surprised of my response.

"I am sorry miss...?"

"Blyth. Clara Blyth." I said and smiled at him.

"I'm sorry miss Blyth, but this is not a place for a woman of your nature." He said and scratched his head again. I smiled at him.