This City doesn't Scare Me

Arthur was pleased with my work. At the end of the week, he couldn't do else but to hire me on full time. I would manage the store alone once a week and was given an extra key. I could see him growing a bit warmer towards me and once in a while he walked into my workspace to admire my good work. Sally had found me on my walk to or from work sometimes and liked to talk to me about London and how to dress fancy. She liked my beautiful dresses and asked me for tips when deciding on colours. I had not yet met her husband but every night I watched the group of men discussing important business in the pub through my window. I had seen William, the man who came to the shop, and guessed that the two men closest to him were Jamie and Curtis.

I could see them hidden in alleys and caught a glimpse of their faces hidden under caps. Sometimes they came walking in larger groups along the street. The police had come to raid the pub once. I had heard screaming and shouting from across the street. Men were dragged out on the street, but the Warrens seemed to talk sense to one of the officers who then ordered the rest of the police to retreat. That was the closest to danger I had seen in the area so far.

One morning as I walked towards the shop, William Warren stood waiting outside. Arthur had not come yet, so I gave him a smile and proceeded to open the door.

"You were here last time." He said and blew out the smoke from the cigarette.

"Yes, I'm Clara, Blyth." I said and opened the door and changed the sign on it to open instead of closed.

"I know who you are." He said and threw the cigarette on the ground before walking in through the door.

"I want you to take a message for Arthur." He said and walked behind me up to the counter. I grabbed the apron behind it and tied around my waist before taking out the calendar to write down what Mr Warren wanted.

"There will be a shipment of fabrics coming to the docks on Tuesday at 8 O'clock. I need him to be there and welcome it." I wrote down what he said and then looked up at him. He was watching me in the same manner as last time he was in here.

"To comment what you said last time Mr Warren. I am not a whore nor stupid." I said to end the silence as I wrote down a note for Arthur. William looked at me questioning. "I might look like one of those good London women, but this town does not scare me." I said and closed the calendar and turned around to put it on the shelf behind me. He looked at me for a long time before giving out a sounded breath through his nose. I thought I could see something resembling amusement in his eyes before he turned around to walk towards the door. The bell chimed as usual, and I watched his dark backside disappear down the street.

Sally had invited us for tea after work and I met Ruby just a few houses before Sally's. "So how is Cheetham doing so far?" She said and tugged the scarf tighter around her body.

"I would say it hasn't given me any reasons to leave yet." I said and hurried behind her as we felt some drops of rain on our heads.

We reached Sally's house and banged on the door to quickly get away from the rain.

"I guess you all heard about the raid at the pub." Sally said as she lit her cigarette by the window. "Jamie doesn't tell me anything but I swear those men are walking on dangerous fields. I heard rumours about Will trying to contact the Salford Skinners." The women sat around the small table in Sally's kitchen. I had no idea who the Salford Skinners were, but they sounded like something one would want to stay away from.

Arthur had taught me his tailoring techniques and I usually joined him for tea in his office after lunch. He had told me about his late wife who had died during his time at Somme. He visited her grave every week and promised himself to keep the shop going for her.