2. Wrinkled Pages

The flickering candle barely illuminated Phlegon's face, which was currently filled with doubt as he pondered Tanwyn's story.

"So what... You think a ghost gave it to you or something?" The older dragonet whispered.

Tanwyn shrugged. "I don't know... but something had to put it there, right?"

"I... I guess..."

Tanwyn showed him the notebook and the locket, and handed him the note. "Can you read it?"

Phlegon's talons crinkled the paper as he leaned forwards to see the writing. It was weird handwriting, but he could try and piece words together. "This notebook... Property of... Well, this word has been smudged out, see? And this section here looks more recent. It says 'Dear dragonet, this... holds the answers... that you have been searching for." Phlegon looked up at Tanwyn in curiosity, then continued. "Find the key by finding this location... There's a map here, see? I have no clue where it is though, it doesn't look like anything I've seen around the bay. That's all it says, just where to find the key."

Tanwyn blinked. "Woah..." He breathed quietly, running his talons lightly over the leather notebook.

Phlegon shook his head. "What if it's a trick? Or you get lost? Why don't you just tear off the leather casing?"

Tanwyn shook his head furiously. "No! This belongs to someone... Maybe my mother! It would be all I have left of her... They want me to find the key. If I don't find it... I'll be unworthy of reading whatever's inside."

Phlegon sighed. "I've read you too many stories." He chuckled. "Besides... we can't even fly."

"We?"

"Well... you didn't think I'd be letting you go alone?" Phlegon chuckled and wagged his tail. "But if you're serious about doing this, we need to learn to fly."

"We don't have those lessons for moons!! What if it's too late by then?" Tanwyn hissed anxiously. "We have to learn ourselves! I need to know what's in here..."

"Why? Why do you need to know so bad?"

"Because... Maybe then I'll know where I belong."