1. A Matter of Fate

The Tavern of Seafoam village was unusually crowded. Fishermen and artisans alike crowded the tables, watching the cards and chips intently. A few soldiers in the corner had passed out already, having drunk a bit too much.

She, on the other talon, made her way to the counter and sat down on a driftwood stump. As she waited for the bartender, Qora drummed her talons on the rough wood and glanced with disdain at the half-asleep nature dragon beside her. His lime green dorsal scales were tinged a dark pink as he looked back, a drunken grin on his face. 

The bartender turned and noticed the waiting night dragon, padding over. "Whatcha lookin for today, ma'am?"

"Anything potent. And if you've heard of any work." 

"Well, I can fix yer right up with th' first. But th' second…"

"Fine."

As he prepared the drink, the nature dragon to her right became increasingly drunk. And nosy.

"Whatsa finelookin dame likeyerself doin alone n' lookinfer work..?" His words slurred as he spoke.

She hissed softly under her breath. "None of your business. Go back to your drink."

"Hmmm… don't thinkso little ladyy…" He made a move to reach for her arm, but she was faster.

Qora grabbed the nature dragon's horn and slammed his head into the table, shattering his glass with his cheek. He screeched and jerked his head back, a bubbly drink sliding down the side of his face along with small shards of glass and blood. He screeched again and stumbled away. No one looked up. 

She sat back again, turning to the bartender who handed her a curved glass and offered a look almost resembling respect. Then it was gone and he turned away.

As she sat there, occasionally sipping the drink and becoming lost in thought, another dragon padded in. He was adorned in the armor of the Sapphire Delta Guard, and the cape he wore dragged slightly on the floor as he approached the counter.

"Qora?" 

She twisted her neck to see the fire dragon. "Brandr. It's… been a while."

"I guess you could say that."

A short silence elapsed, until the guardsman spoke up again. "What are you now? I mean, why come to this little village?"

Qora shrugged. "I'm laying low. Heard this village was a hotspot for merchants and bounty hunters. Looking for someone to throw my lot in with."

Brandr blinked at the night dragon. It really had been a while. She had lost her loyalty to the crown, and was practically a nobody. Searching for purpose among... among thieves and killers! How had she fallen so far?

"Captain Gaia told you she would welcome you back-"

"And you think I would trust her? Trust them?? After what they did to me?" She spat.

"It wasn't her fault! The rumors… they affected everyone."

"It doesn't matter now. The Guard can go on without me."

"Qora-"

"Have a nice flight."

With that, the night dragon stood and swept out of the tavern.