Chapter 9

As much as I love my mother, I got a little annoyed with the fact that she could not stop crying once the tears started. And the worst of it was that Jolene eventually started crying too. Okay, so I will admit to becoming a little teary-eyed myself but I didn't turn on the waterworks. In fact, I think I made my mother's case a little worse by giving her the now-very crumpled bouquet of flowers. She even had to re-write something three times because tears kept splashing onto whatever page she was writing on.

Even the most loyal of her attendants just stared at her (and us but I think it was mostly her) like we were the strangest thing that had ever happened. It just became a little more of a crying fest when my grandfather met us on the front steps wondering why on earth Mother was home so early. He started scolding us too once he realized who we were but it was clear that it was one of those you-are-crazy-you-two-but-I-am-still-so-proud-you scoldings as he started breaking down in tears as well. Just don't get me started on the meeting with my Aunt Gina and my father. My father may have been the worst because he cried so hard that his face became shiny with tears. Given that he had struggled to see us over a week ago, I could understand where he was coming from. I was happy to meet my family at last but really didn't care to remember that day with all the tears that it came with, happy or otherwise. It took my family several surreal days to get over the shock that we were home. Then it was my turn to get a little shocked by the family I lived with.

I am an early riser and so rose early in the morning to go to breakfast only five days after I had returned and the only two who were awake were Mother and Aunt Gina. I was so cheery that I didn't notice how deep in conversation the two had apparently been in.

"Good morning, Mother." I said giving her a light kiss on the cheek.

"Well, good morning to you too, young man." She said smiling back. "I have a question for you."

"I slept pretty good. Thanks." I said proceeding to scoop up some fresh eggs and walrus bacon.

"How would it be if I asked the question first before you answered as that is what normal and polite people do?"

"Pthorry, Mawther." I apologized with food in my mouth. "Plask 'way."

Mother quirked her eyebrow at me and said, "Just because you're living at home now instead of with Valentia doesn't mean you can act like a two-year old. Talking with food in your mouth, indeed! What do you have to say for yourself?"

Swallowing my food and grinning I said in my best Kalaharian accent. "I'm sorree, Mahder. Forgeeve me."

My mother buried her forehead in her hands laughing and said, "I'm blaming this on your father and grandfather given that you spent most of the day checking garrisons with them yesterday. Which brings me to my question: would you like to spend the day with me or Aunt Gina?"

"Both of you, of course. Is that even a question?" I asked proceeding to stuff some more eggs in my mouth.

"Impossible." Aunt Gina said quickly. "We spend the entire day away from each other. Julian, your mother and I are a little concerned about you."

"You guys are concerned I'm spending too much time with Father and Grandfather?" I said looking up suspiciously from my breakfast.

"Well given the very poor Kalaharian accent you just tried to pull, we might have to come back to that later," Mother teased. "But you've had no real training as far as ruling a kingdom goes and I think that issue needs to be dealt with immediately."

The world came to a screeching halt as I realized the absurdity of what my mother was telling me. "Mother! I've been home for five days and all of a sudden you and Aunt Gina want me to jump right into all this kingship stuff? I'm fourteen! If worst comes to worst, you will be ruling for a few years as regent before I'm old enough to take over! No offense, Aunt Gina."