Home

Count to three and everything should be fine. Just count to goddamn three and everything will be just, fucking, fine.

“Mama? Are you mad at me?” asked a shy, timid voice, that was so normally full of snark and liveliness.

Immediately, Tobio felt his anger disappear. He couldn't stay mad at his boy. He couldn't.

“Oh, sweetheart. I could never be mad at you even if I tried, okay? Come here.” he cooed in, what he hoped, was his least most condescending voice.

Immediately, a frame too small for their age came running at him and Tobio caught him in a hug.

“I d-didn't m-mean to i-” the small boy sobbed in his arms and Tobio merely cooed at him, whispering that it was okay.
He was talking about the broken picture frame of his first year in middle school with the volleyball team. At first, he had treasured it because it had been one of the few moments where Oikawa wasn't a total asshole to him. However, as time grew on the photo only bought him despair and it reminded him about how he had failed everyone.

Looking at the broken frame where glass surrounded the picture, a piece of glass puncturing a hole where Oikawa was standing, he couldn't help the vindictive feeling of pleasure. Finally, he longer had to look at it. His cowardice from earlier refused to let him take it down, thinking that he deserved to be reminded of his failures.

“I just want to make sure you aren't hurt, baby,” he reassured softly, knowing that if his team were here he would get teased mercilessly, but right now he had to focus on his son. He was more important right now.

“B-but-”

“But nothing. I'm actually glad that you had destroyed it,” he told the boy honestly, letting out his more friendlier smiles, the one he reserves for those truly close to him. “I had been wanting to get rid of it for quite a while now, so I'm glad that you got rid of it. Kinda poetic actually,” he said jokingly.

“Really?” asked Akito and Tobio hummed in affirmation. He gently guided the boy into his lap and gently rocked him, running his fingers through his soft, brunette locks. “How is it poetic?” the boy asked, voice still timid. Tobio shook his head and continued his soothing gestures before answering

“In my first year in middle school I used to look up to one of my senpais because a) he was a really amazing setter and b) he was way more charismatic than I could ever be.” Tobio’s voice was soft recalling memories of him looking up to Oikawa, wanting to learn from the best of the best. Oh, how time has changed things.

“One day.” he continued, trying his hardest to not let his voice crack, “I asked him to help me with my jump serve. He…” Kageyama hesitated, looking at the boy in his arms before continuing, there was no use in keeping secrets. “didn't have the best of reactions. One moment he was just standing there and the next minute his best friend was holding his arm to make sure he didn't slap me.”

Tobio heard the soft gasp and when he looked down again those wide blue eyes of his son looked up at him, full of sadness for the younger version of himself. He simply kissed the boy's forehead before continuing.

“After that, I still continued to ask him for it and thankfully he didn't try to attack me. However, he did show his dislike for me much more. Eventually, the rest of the school caught up to it and everyone began avoiding me. Some even taunted me.” Tobio was shocked at how sad his voice was but he supposed that even he couldn't keep up the emotionless mask, especially around Akito.

“That's horrible.” Akito huffed, feeling angry on Tobio’s behalf. He couldn't help the small laugh that he let out, even more laughter escaping as Akito puffed up his cheeks at him.